GK fairing noise is driving me nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GK fairing noise is driving me nuts!

I've had my GK pretty much down for electrical problems the last few weeks and have been riding my 850 with a WindJammer IV. My 850 is so quite compared to the GK. The fairing vibrates and howls on the GK. At a constant freeway speed it is fine, but putting around town it is bad. I've checked the mounting bolts and can't figure it out. I'd like to check out another GK and see if I'm just too sensistive to the noise. I am strongly considering dumping the fairing and doing something else. The time and cost will rule this out until next year. I even pulled the fairing off and tried a strip of rubber between the fairing and mounting brackets. Any other GK owners have this problem? Any ideas. I really doubt this noise is normal, I've lived with it for 10,000 miles, 2 years. The bike is perfect with out the fairing, except for the wind. I was riding with a half helmet and no ear plugs so I could hear the bike run, still checking it out after repair work. Typically I use a Full face helmet and ear plugs so the noise is not as bad. At speed it's OK.

I have a 1984 GK and it too is noisy. The bike runs great and I finished up some electrical problems it had.

The owner before me had put 'packing peanuts' into the fairing area. I rode the bike with the peanuts and without after I removed them to do the electrical work on the wiring harness in there. I think it was quieter with the peanuts so I'm going to put them back in and see what happens.

I thought about that rubber strip you did. How did it work out, is it worth the effort?

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

I did the rubber strip on mine, it did'nt help. I did get alot of the 'buzzing' down by taking the little door things off and running a bead of silicone beside the OEM rubber gasket thingy, and it helped alot. I think thats where most of the noise was on mine...

Comment

Must be a reason for the excessive noise. Mine is just as quiet as bikes I ridden with Windjammers and a lot quieter than my friends Kawi Concours that I ride occaisionally. Is the windshield stock?

Comment

Working...
        X