83 GSX1100ES 5TH gear rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GSX1100ES 5TH gear rattle

G'day, my name is Tony and this is my first post (and probably not my last) Thanks for sharing your resources!

When I shift into 5th gear there is a distinct rattling noise from the engine. If I ride over 100km/hr (usually) the noise turns into a high pitched whistle. The faster I go, the louder the whistle becomes. Anyone have an idea of what the noise could be?

Regards
    Tv

Worn set of transmission gears for fifth.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
      Is that hard to fix? Does it mean - engine out and dismantle - or can I do it 'from outside' so to speak. I know it's hard to guess but how long will it last as it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Tv
        Originally posted by robinjo
        Is that hard to fix? Does it mean - engine out and dismantle - or can I do it 'from outside' so to speak. I know it's hard to guess but how long will it last as it is?
        It is one of the hardest or most labour intensive things to do...
        Engine will have to come out of the frame and just about very component has to come off to get the lower crank case to split, but I have read it can be done without dissasembling the topend. You will need a manual for this for sure.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking forward to the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tv
            Thanks for the info. I'm not looking forward to the job.
            Tony, These are some of the easiest motors to work on and if you have a
            mechanical nack it will give you a great feeling after your done. To replace the gear, You will need to tear it all the way down and split the cases. I would suggest that you get another used tranny and put in there.
            If you decide to do this yourself there are a lot of great people on the board here that will give you all the help you need.

Comment

Thanks for the support jgordon. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and I have a pretty good aptitude for fixing stuff. I think I need a donor bike as I'm having a major battle maintaining this one. Lucky this forum is here otherwise I'd have spat the dummy and pushed it into the dumpmaster.

Comment

Working...
              X