Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubricating carb pistons after cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubricating carb pistons after cleaning?

Do you need to lubricate the sliding pistons inside the carb after cleaning? Both carbs had stuck sliding valves, carbs were cleaned about 3 years ago, bike sat ALOT. After the carb cleaner spray there is no lubrication, any input would be helpful.

Carb lube

hi Nope just assemble clean as you can. But i run some form of upper cylinder lube in my bike to help with that. (Redex) STP or something like that will be good. The carbs on my bike are like hens teeth so need to look after them and when i pull them apart you can feel the oil .

Comment

Yes like Sharpy said. They don't get lubed. Just clean and dry. They should be good but if they are really roughed up you can use some mild grade rubbing compound on the slide and the inside of the body to smooth it out. Just make sure you don't use a lot of pressure or rub too long. You don't want to reshape anything.

Comment

Lube attracts dirt--Dirt makes slides very stubborn!

Comment

I have allway's lubed the carb piston's, I use synthetic two stroke, just a very light rub twice a year.
          Never had a problem with it collecting dirt, and the throttle respond's just a little bit sharper.

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
            I have allway's lubed the carb piston's, I use synthetic two stroke, just a very light rub twice a year.
            Never had a problem with it collecting dirt, and the throttle respond's just a little bit sharper.
            It is not recommended. Doesn't mean you can't do it. It's just that your doing opposite of what the service manuals say. Just so you know that before you go recommending to others to "break the rules" you rebel

Comment

Don't you call me a rebel ....you ...........you ..........OK I can't think of anything at the moment.''.
              It was something told to me by a REAL (don't meet many of those ) bike mechanic year's ago.
              I have used this trick my self way back to the early seventies, and advised other's to do the same, no problem's reported from any one, in fact with CV's a slight increase in throttle responce was noticed by most.
              But I understand your caution.

Comment

Working...
              X