Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850G rear tire question (never done this before!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G rear tire question (never done this before!!)

Just bought me an '81 GS850G, and it's sweet. I love it. I have NO experience, however, working on them, so I have a few questions.
    I'm replacing the rear tire as it is dry rotted to hell, and I bought a MT90HB17 Dunlop Elite II tubless tire. I took the old tire off tonight, and realised there is infact a tube in the old tire. Now, stamped on the rim I see that it says 'tubless applicable' or something to that effect.
    So, my question; is it indeed okay to put a tubless tire on this wheel? Do I need to do anything special? Just wondering if those of you with more experience have any advice. Thanks a bunch.

I think with an '81, you should be OK to put on a tubeless tire. I've heard that older rims (78,79) had a porous alloy that actually leaked air, and you needed to use tubes to prevent slow leaks.

I have an '83 and I installed a tubeless Dunlop Elite that hasn't lost any air at all. But results may vary! If doing it yourself at home, be prepared for a very trying time.

Ace.

Comment

Yup, go tubeless!

The tube may have been someone's attempt at pinching pennies by running a tube instead of replacing a damaged tire or rim. Some old-timers mistakenly think that using a tube is safer somehow. Who knows?

I would definitely check the rim very closely for damage or old rubber buildup in the bead. You can scrub it off with a scotchbrite pad.

You'll get a lot less heat buildup by going tubeless, so the tire will last longer and be more reliable.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
        Yup, go tubeless!

You'll get a lot less heat buildup by going tubeless, so the tire will last longer and be more reliable.
        Plus you'll be able to plug it on the side of the road if you're unlucky enough to get a puncture, instead of trying to wield tire irons to remove and patch a tube.

Tubes are a bummer.

Comment

If the wheel says TUBELESS or DOT TL yer fine. Bike might even have come with tubes installed from the factory even tho the rims were approved 4 tubeless. I believe they were using up their inventories of tube type tires. I went thru this with 2 older Kaws that came with tubes but had TUBELESS rims. The rim must say TUBELESS or TL though.

ED 8)

Comment

Working...
          X