IDLES TOO FAST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDLES TOO FAST

Help, I seem to have a runaway idle on my 82 550 L. Sometimes it sits around 1100 rpm then wants to climb up to 3500 and sit there. When I turn down the idle knob it will drop back down but then stalls. I have just cleaned the carbs. Plugs are covered in black fluff. Any ideas? Thanks

Sounds like a vacumn leak between the carbs and the head.

Comment

I put new o rings on boots - tried some wd40 around the boots doesn't seem to be leaking?

Comment

If the carbs are WAY out of sync this can happen, but also try a water mist on those boot's it's more conclusive.
        Any mod's to the bike?

Comment

nope its pretty much stock with mostly rebuilt or new parts I believe it's the first time it has been running since 1988

Comment

Well you can try what I have allready said, but you may have missed somethig when you cleaned the carbs, I presume your airfilter is ok?

Comment

thanks I'll try the water mist in the morning

Comment

If this is what's happening: at first, bike idles correctly while cold and still warming up...but once fully warmed up, the rpm's climb much higher...you turn down the idle with the idle adjuster...everything seems fine...you park the bike until cold...at re-start, bike now won't hold an idle until you turn up the adjuster. This is an intake leak.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                X