Read lots but still have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read lots but still have questions

Ok I?ve read what seems like every thread on here and I still need a second opinion as the mind tends to trick itself from time to time. My run down and then time to see what you can come up with to help me out.

My background:1983 850G Valve cover gasket was leaking, coil boots were cracked to hell, seat needed to be recovered, and I parked her b/c the plague hit (ELECTRICAL ISSUE for you Newbies). This is my first official vehicle project so I?ve learned a few things already and that is ?There?s more to it then what you set out to do.?

Ordered valve cover gasket, cam shaft end plugs/Chrome covers, plugs, 95?Katana coils from ebay (for you new people this works but you have to make a few boot modifications), new stock foam filter, oil filters, and Allen Bolts (Thanks BWringer).

Now mind you I?VE NEVER TAKEN A BIKE APART let alone owned one for more then 3 months. So redid the air box with weather stripping and new foam filter. I weather stripped both end caps AND the top of the air filter cartridge. Then Removed the Valve cover and found the Cam Chain had rubbed the Valve cover but had to figure out if it still was now. So made sure that was ok and Valve timing was right so put all that back together.

Till I started reading on here I never heard of an Impact Driver (BUY ONE IF YOU DON?T HAVE ONE). This saved me from stripping coil screws. Got those mounted and made the modifications to the boots so everything fits the new plugs.

Here?s where I?m CALLING ALL EXPERTS. Electrical aside for a now b/c I?m replacing the stator and????. Well that?s a whole other thread.

I had to hook the bike to the Truck battery (NOT to worry I didn?t turn the truck on) so I had enough juice to turn it over. IT STARTED! Not really excited yet, gave it some gas to make sure it didn?t die with Choke and then it idled fine by itself. I noticed off the bat that the sound was different and gas smell was gone so no more running rich. Rev it and she?ll go. Go to run it around the block and 0-60 is like 1 MINUTE LOL. I expected this with the filter replacement and new plugs.

Here?s the thing I DON?T WANT TO REBUILD THE CARBS (for now) and I don?t think they really need to but I?m shooting for it runs LEAN b/c the power just isn?t there. From the Heat it seems like all the chambers are firing and I don?t get back fire, except when I went to kill it. All plugs have a good spark. Soooooooo that?s where I?m at now. What adjustments should I make on the Carbs before sync?ing them? Once we get this down then I?ll start on the Electrical demons. After all I?ve learned ONE THING AT A TIME!

You could try running some Seafoam thru the tank and riding a fresh tank of fuel through it. I have done that before and it worked, but it doesn't always work.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

I am assuming your engine is stock--stock airbox, stock exhuast. If so, going through the carbs would not be a bad idea. It is really not as hard as it looks. But try this first, make sure the petcock is not blocked up by any trash on the screen inside the tank. This has fooled a lot of people. seems it will look good when you put it on prime, but not in the run position. I made it simple for me and replaced mine right off. In my case, even though my tank is rust-free, it was clogged quite a bit with trash. Make sure the line is not kinked, better yet, just replace it. If it is the original line with the spring on it, you really are on borrowed time! Like previously posted, run some seafoam or Gumout concentrated fuel injector cleaner through it. remove the airbox, stick your finger in the carb throats and see if the slides work without ANY resistance. any of then are stuck, take off the carbs, period. try those ideas first and see what you come up with. Let us know..

Comment

You didn't mention it, and I think you've already taken care of this issue...

...but have you replaced your intake o-rings and are the intake boots flexible and not cracked?

Also think about replacing the petcock as noted above -- you could be just starving for fuel. There are certain parts your 83 GS850 is just going to need replaced at some point, no matter how much it hurts, and the petcock is one of them (the whole thing -- no rebuild kit is available for the '83 models). It's $60 at CRC2.
        CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

It's also very easy to mess up the boots between the airbox and the carbs and get an intake leak.

Is it running lean or rich? What do the plugs look like?

Also, if the electrical system is unhealthy, it won't run right. You at least need to start out with a good, fully charged battery so that there's enough juice for the ignition even if it's not charging.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ya know I got to thinkn about the Petcock issue and I'll have to check that.

So sounds like my new plan of attack:
          1. Check Petcock and clean if possible.
          2. I have the old fuel line with spring so I guess I need to go ahead and replace that. This just a standard line I could get from a auto store?
          3. I'll order a stator tomorrow and install that in addition to changing out connections.
          4. Boots are still soft and not hard at all but I question the Boot clamps. I've read from other threads that they don't really fit that well. I can't find an alternative. It is a stock exhaust and airbox

I'll have to get back to you after that b/c I'll need some more ideas.

Comment

Working...
          X