Funny noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny noise...

Okay, i was riding my bike earler today, and it started making this half grinding, half screeching sound. It sounds like its coming off the front wheel. It doesn't make the noise all the time, sometimes its a chirp, sometimes it happens for a few minutes. I rode my bike to work then, and the same thing. It starting doing some sort of slight headshake. The first thing that popped into mind, was "wheel bearings"

Its a '78 GS400, with a 19" mag wheel (in place of 18" spoked drum wheel) and the only funny thing about the front, is that the wheel was a little off center, so I shimmed it to be centered. I dunno if this caused a problem, but its worth mentioning... Also, all the bolts appeared to be tight in my quick roadside "I hope i'm not gonna die" check.

Whaddaya think? Wheel bearing siezed?

Whaddaya think? Wheel bearing siezed?
    A likely candidate. Either way, definitely time to strip it apart and find out what it might be, because pain... well, it hurts.

Mike.

Comment

Could also be speedo gear slippage.

Comment

How did you shim the wheel to center it?

Are you binding the wheel?

Have you put the bike on the centerstand and spun the front wheel to check for bearing noise?

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
          How did you shim the wheel to center it?

Are you binding the wheel?

Have you put the bike on the centerstand and spun the front wheel to check for bearing noise?
          i had extra of those little tubes that the fork clamps over, so i cut one to 1/4", and stuck it in there. I haven't done any checking yet, because it was too late last night....

Comment

Working...
          X