X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello everybody,
    just purchased my first Gs
    and im in love already
    it's a 81 gs1000 S , the white and blue one...
    it was very hard to get info on that bike, here in Paris,
    and then i discover accidently this web site, and i couldn't belive it....
    the solutions to mi problems are all here (gas in oil...carb cleaning..stator pages ....)
    mi problem is just that mi english mecanical vocabulary is not very rich
    but it will grow as im reading the posts...
    so, please be indulgent on my sintaxt errors....
    ok, heres mi first question : as i have gas in the oil (just realised mi oil level was higher after hollydais than before ..!!)and after reading the very interstinng post from hoomgar on the subject, i would like to give to mi baby the best oil, according to her old age, and rides in town mostly...
    when i first changend the oil (2 weeks ago ) i've used syntethic 5/50- is that a good choise ?
    in advance, thanks for your help

Bonjour Monsieur dorlans. and welcome to the GSresources.
    How nice to see (I think) the first Frenchman here, and with a very cool bike! But date is wrong I think, it was made in 1979 and 1980, are the tops of your carborators round or square?

If you feel like a nice ride come and see me! (Le Pay Bas.)

Et remerciez un dieu des belles femmes fran?aises !

Comment

Welcome to the GSR

Comment

Howdy dorlans, I'm, just 18 or so miles south of Paris and about 80 +/- miles north of London...Kentucky.

Comment

I'm kind of a newbie too, so welcome from one newbie to another. You say you use 5w/50 oil which is probably a synthetic. Lots of people have lots of ideas about this, but you're in the ball park. I use 20w/50 synthetic.

Comment

Sorry I didn't mention this in my first post. If you have gas in your oil, you should check to make sure that your petcock assembly on your gas tank isn't set to "prime" since that will allow gas from your tank to continue entering the carbs when the bike is off. Petcock should be set to "on". If its working properly no gas will be coming out of the tank when you're bike is off. There are other reasons why gas might be in your oil, but start there.

Comment

thanks everybody for the friendly welcome ...
              i think you're right robin..on the papers it says first circulation in 81
              but it was made probably in 80-
              the carbs have a round shape on the top ..
              Ok mark, i checked the petcock and it was on prime, so that supposes the petcok is ok and i have a problem with the carbs , right ?
              this would explain why the engine wasn't workin proprely...

the oil is syntetic, but what means "in the ball park", means it's good ? , i can buy the same one ?

thanks again ..

robinjo, je croyais que les belles femmes etaient aux pays bas ?

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
                Et remerciez un dieu des belles femmes fran?aises !
                Originally posted by dorlans
                robinjo, je croyais que les belles femmes etaient aux pays bas ?
                Aucun... vous ?tes les deux wrong..there aux Etats-Unis

Comment

Sorry about the slang, "in the ball park" means you're pretty close. A 5w50 oil is probably a pretty good synthetic although in reality you don't need an oil with a 5w low number because you'd never ride the bike in cold enough weather to require it.

Comment

thanks mark
                    (also for the slang teaching....)

Comment

Aren't there some French-speaking Canadians around here somewhere?

Don't worry about your English -- it's better than a lot of the native English speakers.

Anyway, I would use an oil where the first number is higher. 15W-50 or 20W50.

Does the 5W-50 oil manufacturer say that it's OK to use in air-cooled motorcycle engines? It would probably be OK then.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X