Alumaloy for aluminum repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alumaloy for aluminum repairs

Saw this infomercial on Alumaloy aluminum repair rods. Looks great, but does it really work. Will it work on the aluminum that our bike case covers, engines and/or frame parts are made of? If anyone has any info on this product would you please share it with the rest of us? It looks to be a great product but what's the real story.

Funny you should mention Alumaloy ... a buddy of mine asked just yesterday if I still had any. I've had some for years, but have never really put it to the test. I know at least one GS'r used it to fix broken cooling fins on his GS with great results.

The few times I've tried to use it I had problems, but it turns out that I was missing a few key steps (they sent rod but not instructions to me years ago). I'm told that if you don't clean the area you're going to work on with stainless steel wire brushes (I didn't) you will run into trouble with the stuff not wanting to adhere properly because of steel/etc. residue.

I don't know if that old thread was saved, but there were pics of the completed job (the cooling fins) and it was VERY impressive ... you really couldn't tell anything had been done unless you knew what you were looking for...

Hope this is helpful

Steve 8)

***EDIT*** I found the old thread -- the pictures no longer come up, but the description of the repair and other pointers are still easy to follow... here it is:

Enjoy!

Comment

Alumaloy Ahoy

Thanks for the info Planecrazy, the commercial makes this stuff out to be your best friend if you own anything aluminum. If it does what it says it does I have a few case covers with dings or cracks that I want to try this stuff on. I have a durable gloss black finish paint process that I used on my OEM headers that should hide the patches and make them visually acceptable. I always wanted to see what my bike would look like with black case covers. I could never bring myself to sacrifice my good ones on the experiment. This might be my chance.

Just put an order in for a pound and a half for $45.00. $52.00 including S&H. I will post my results in a couple of days.

Comment

You got me wondering about this stuff all over again ... I searched the web and found two other products that are similar ... Alumaweld, which claims to be stronger than Alumaloy, and HTS-2000, which claims to be the "next generation" version of this stuff with even more strength than the other two, as well as the ability to bond to metals without special pre-treatment. Here's the link:

HTS-2000 would seem to be the way to go, if you don't mind spending a little more $$, as it sounds like it's a more "forgiving" material. Don't know if you can cancel your Alumaloy order, but if you can it might be worth considering...

Regards,
        Steve 8)

Comment

Buy the one that include the free Ginzu knives. And the free coupon for $5 off the AM-FM pocket fisherman.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
            Buy the one that include the free Ginzu knives. And the free coupon for $5 off the AM-FM pocket fisherman.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
            Funny, Jim!! Seriously though, it's too bad you can't see the pics from the other thread anymore ... the repair made with Alumaloy was so good it really looked like the fins had never been broken, and I don't know any other way it could have been easily or inexpensively repaired, if repaired at all.

When it works, the stuff is VERY impressive. This new stuff (STS-2000) claims to have eliminated the single biggest problem that exists with the other brands. If it works as advertised it would make fixing stripped exhaust bolt holes a darn sight easier and less expensive then what our current options are (heliarc treatment)...

Steve

Steve 8) 8)

Comment

Thought I could, ahem, reel you in with that one, 'Ron'. I've got an an old 650 Yamaha twin with some broken fins, although I think the pieces are gone now, I'd have to check some boxes to be sure. I'm really interested in this stuff. More or less just from a 'good to know' point of view.

Comment

I expect that kind of a smart-alec remark from JimCincinnatti, but YOU came out of left field, Jim!

Steve 8)

Comment

Alumaloy for now

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                  You got me wondering about this stuff all over again ... I searched the web and found two other products that are similar ... Alumaweld, which claims to be stronger than Alumaloy, and HTS-2000, which claims to be the "next generation" version of this stuff with even more strength than the other two, as well as the ability to bond to metals without special pre-treatment. Here's the link:

HTS-2000 would seem to be the way to go, if you don't mind spending a little more $$, as it sounds like it's a more "forgiving" material. Don't know if you can cancel your Alumaloy order, but if you can it might be worth considering...

Regards,
                  Steve 8)
                  Planecrazy, from what I saw in the infomercial, if it is stronger than Alumaloy then it propbably not right for what I need it for for now. I need it just to seal up some minor cracks and level off some dimples and scrapes. I expected that I will have to do a bit of grinding and sanding to smooth out the parts. Alumaloy looked to be plenty formidable to grind and sand as it is. Anything harder or stronger would probably make my task even harder than I already assume it is going to be.

I did come accross those two other products on websites before I found the Alumaloy one so I was aware of them. One interested me in particular because it advertised something called Steelaloy I believe. I have held onto my original gas tank that I poked a small hole in about 22 years ago. I have held onto it because other than the hole it was solid with no rust. I had coated the inside when it was new with US Tank Sealer and that stuff is still adheared to the walls. Someday I thought that I would have someone TIG the hole shut and redo and reuse the tank. I think I may next try this Steelaloy stuff on that project.

Comment

Supposedly the STS-2000 is not as brittle as the two other products, so when they say "stronger" they're not necessarily saying "harder." Also, they make a product comparable (but again supposedly better) to Steelaloy, but in both cases they claim that their use of multiple alloys allows for use in jobs where pre-prep may not do the trick for Alumaloy.

Incidentally, I played a little with my Alumaloy and an aluminum can, and quickly found out that my torch technique is too hot for the job. This stuff is unforgiving, so practice on scrap before you try it on the stuff that matters. Eventually I started getting it to work the way they say it's supposed to, but there is definitely a learning curve, and the STS-2000 people claim that their stuff is much more forgiving...

Good Luck!!
                    Steve 8)

Comment

Alumaloy Practice

Supposedly the STS-2000 is not as brittle as the two other products, so when they say "stronger" they're not necessarily saying "harder." Also, they make a product comparable (but again supposedly better) to Steelaloy, but in both cases they claim that their use of multiple alloys allows for use in jobs where pre-prep may not do the trick for Alumaloy.

Incidentally, I played a little with my Alumaloy and an aluminum can, and quickly found out that my torch technique is too hot for the job. This stuff is unforgiving, so practice on scrap before you try it on the stuff that matters. Eventually I started getting it to work the way they say it's supposed to, but there is definitely a learning curve, and the STS-2000 people claim that their stuff is much more forgiving...

Good Luck!!

Steve 8)
                      Thanks Steve, I will start looking for aluminum scraps to practice on. I think I have a six pack in the fridge that might work. I have to empty it first though.

Comment

That's the ticket! ... and the side benefit will be that when you're done and start practicing your work will look fantastic right from the start!!!

(you might not remember why you thought it looked fantastic when you look again in the morning)

Steve 8)

BTW, I saw your signature ... and maybe that explains why so many guys buy harleys with their V-twins!

Comment

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried filling and retapping a bolt hole. That really caught my interest as I read the thread. It just so happens that I have a problem bolt hole on my 850.

Comment

Harley Theory

BTW, I saw your signature ... and maybe that explains why so many guys buy harleys with their V-twins!
                            Could be, but the difference is my pair can perform. I rather be capable of being bad rather than looking bad. Function over form always.

About here jimcor should enter comments on performance issues.

Originally posted by karl_ibsen
                            I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried filling and retapping a bolt hole. That really caught my interest as I read the thread. It just so happens that I have a problem bolt hole on my 850.
                            What size hole/ thread pattern depth. I might be able to experiment on an old rim that doesn't fit on my bike.

Comment

One of the exhaust pipe bolts broke off. When I tried to drill it out, the bit drifted off to the side and it's a bit of a mess. Right now, I'm riding without a bolt in that hole. I may yet be able to use the existing hole, if I can ever get what's left of the bolt out. I'm going to have to fix it someday, and having an alternative to a helicoil sound great.

Comment

Working...
                              X