Got my new old mags today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my new old mags today!

Not sure when I'll start this procedure, but I'm getting ready to ditch the wire wheels on the 450 for these mags ...

I always liked these style mags, a lot, since my '78 750E had 'em.

Of course, first thing is to clean and polish. After that, here's the question, will the parts from my wire wheels (brakes, etc) just fit onto or into the mags? My parts are in nice shape and re-usable, so I want to use them. Everything pretty much just a swap out? Are there any parts that I ought to consider replacing with new or NOS while the wheels are off?

Any advice before I pull everything apart?

Thanks!

Cult fan?

Comment

What a crying shame to replace those wire wheels!
      I would have put some nice slightly wider aluminium spoked rims on it with SS spokes.

Comment

It's a downgrade Herb. And your adding weight. Just so you know.

Comment

Gotta agree. Wire wheels on a classic bike are about as sweet as it gets.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Don't listen to them Herb.

I don't know why, but I've never liked the look of the wire wheels. But then again, I'm not known for my sense of asthetics or taste. Hell, I'm not even wearing socks that match at the moment. (One's brown, one's blue.)

Comment

On every older bike I've had with wire wheels, the spokes rusted and looked like crud. Plus, they always go out of alignment for no reason and you have to deal with the stupid tubes when changing tires.

Therefore, I also hate wire wheels. So there!

No idea what parts will interchange -- I guess you'll have to experiment or spend some quality time with the microfiches comparing part numbers.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I love the look of the wire wheels, when they are well kept. Aluminum spoked rims, like on Hoomgar's GS 1000, would be lighter, but the steel wheels with spokes, like on most GS's, there's very little difference in the wt. I also hate tubes, so for me, i guess it's about 50/50. Not sure about the GS 450, but when I put GS 1000 spoked wheels on my GS 1100 & GS 1100 mags on the GS 1000, On the rear, I had to Keep the spacer that goes between the brake caliper carrier & the swingarm with the wheel it came with, apprx. 1/4" different width. Also check the front rotors, If the mag came with dual disc brakes, I think they will be slightly smaller than the single disc spoked wheel rotors
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

To me, mags are an upgrade. I dig them. Spokes go on a bicycle...with a playing card and clothes pin! When I grew up EVERYTHING had spokes, then in '78 I got mags on my new toy and I loved 'em! Hope these clean up nice.

Comment

It will look great Herb. If it is any consolation, I am doing the same thing to both my 1k's eventually

Just had to give you crap first. I already have the rims for one bike but am waiting on the other because I don't know what front end and swingarm I will be using yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X