Help. Gas line problems 1979 gs550 L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. Gas line problems 1979 gs550 L

Hello. I just got this bike, it got 8000 miles on it,, but the gas lines ,are gone, I will put new ones on , but i cant figure it out,, theres three outlets on the gas tank and two lines comeing out of 2and3 carb,, If somebody knows it would be abig help...Thanks Steve

The 3 outlet,s on the gas tank, the larger hose comeing of the fuel petcock is your fuel line, it connect's to the rear between the second and third carb's.
    The smaller line comeing from the petcock is a vacumn line, this opens the petcock when the motor is turning over.
    This slip's over an outlet on the motor side of the carb's,second carb from the left when sitting on the bike.
    The other hose from the tank must be the fuel gauge sender overflow, it's just a drain if it leak's,run it down behind the carb's and past the motor so it can drain to ground if need be.
    The two hoses comeing from the carb's are breather's, just run them up behind them and under the seat, just make shure they stay open.
    See how you go!

Comment

thanks

Thanks ,, I will try right away,, Steve

Comment

still not right

I guess the two lines comeing up from the carbs apear to be two fuel line I put a tee in them, and put them to the big outlet ,there between 1 and two and three and four ,,they are mikuni carbs,, found vacum line and put it on,, i did not see any vent lines?. It started It seemed gas wasnt getting to all the carbs,, and when I shut it down, gas drained out of air clener vent, a lot of it,,It did run good for a few moments,, pet cock is missing the lever in it,,so i am not sure what position it is in ,, should I get a new one,, thanks very much any help please,, Steve

Comment

I have the later type of carbs on my bike so I'm looking at the manual but guessing too. Your fuel line is in the middle of the carbs, (between 2 and 3). The other 2 hoses are vent lines they run back under the tank to a holding bracket on the airbox lid. The smaller diameter hose is the vacuum line that runs to the petcock. Total of 4 hoses.

I think what you have done with the tee, is connect the vent lines together, and hooked them to the fuel tank. Make sure you don't have an airbox full of gas. 8O And more gas in your crankcase oil. If you do have fuel in the oil, change it!

Does your petcock have a screwdriver slot? if it does you never had a handle on it to begin with. Prolly just a two position job, prime and run. Sounds like you might have the petcock in the prime position presently.

Comment

found main line

Well,, all lines hooked up right, finnally,, started bike, but not getting much gas to third and forth cylinder , I ran it for 5 min, first two pipes real hot, other two just warm,, I checked for spark it was good, So where do I go from here,, Very happy for any advice,, Thanks Steve

Comment

You could try some Berryman's B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner in the tank as a cross your fingers type of cure. Follow the directions on the can. Don't let the bike sit and idle without a fan blowing on it or riding it in the neighborhood if possible. I have used this stuff before and it works if things are not too bad. If this does not work an off the bike carb cleaning job may be neccessary.

You say plenty of spark. Plugs clean and gapped?

Points gapped correctly?

Comment

Make sure that you have the coil to plug wires correct. One coil fires 1 and 4, the other fires 2 and 3.

Comment

thanks again

Thanks for all the advice again will try advice,, thanks Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X