Oil question... here we go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil question... here we go...

I'm new to this board (just bought an 81 GS850G), but I see from searching that motor oil topics are cases of thorough discussion just like the auto tech boards I populate. So anyhow...
    I'm getting my baby road ready where I work (at a car dealer), changing the oil. Just as I'm about to tip in the first bottle of 10W40 Valvoline synthetic blend oil, this guy who claims to be a motor head comes screaming over telling me that any synthetic oil, blend or otherwise, will damage the wet clutch, and I should cease immediately! I've never heard of this, but of course the cars I've worked on for the last 20 years have never had multi-plate wet clutches that use engine oil. So, what do I do? Is synthetic or a blend okay?

Yes.

Comment

Lots of us use synthetics, but the argument that "non-motorcyle" oil will cause clutch slippage is a common one and is heard often. I use synthetics and like them.

Comment

The rule of thumb is, if an oil is rated 'energy conserving' it is unsuitable for use in a wet clutch. It will cause slipping...Now...

In real life, I have never talked to anyone that told me oil caused their clutch to slip. Use what you want. If you get some clutch slip don't run so hard. Post your experiences here and try something else next time.

IMHO, this all started in the early 90's with a lot of warranty claims against a company that started with the letters H o n d _. They claimed the clutch trouble was improper oil. The industry fell in line with number one and the energy conserving-VII (viscosity index improver) myth was born. I repeat, this is only my opinion. But I've posted this rant on other boards also and the bottom line is: no one replies. I've used dino, synthetic-blend, synthetic/energy conserving and synthetic non energy conserving oils in my bikes and I have never experienced clutch slip. I really be interested in hearing your story if you have oil related clutch slip.

Comment

Allright then, sounds good. I'm gonna find this weenie tomorrow at work and pour my synthetic blend in my baby right in front of him.

Comment

Working...
          X