Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to check the oil level in a 1979 GS1000E? Help PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check the oil level in a 1979 GS1000E? Help PLEASE!

:? First bike, need help! :?

Just bought the bike 2 days ago and I have been checking the bike over. Checked the cables out, brake fluid (both front and back), made sure the battery connections were tight, etc... 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

But when I go to checking the oil, I realized I had no idea how to see how much is in it.

I have found the cap that says 10W40 on it, but can't find a dip stick or any other way of seeing how much is in it.

There is a sight glass in the same cover as the filler cap, at the bottom, bike must be straight i.e. not on sidestand when checking the oil.

Comment

After doing it wrong for years, I finally read the Suzuki manual. Put the bike on the center stand, on level ground, to check the oil in the sight glass.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome! You have excellent taste in bikes Do yourself a favor & go here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=38626
        to get a copy of the factory service manual for your bike.

Terry

Comment

RPHILIPS/ROBINJO, I will do that on saturday of this week. I wont have a chance to due that until this weekend. I work 2 jobs, get up at 0500 and get to bed around 2230 (if I'm lucky).

Humhead, I can't seem to get to the site that the weblinks are pointing to. I keep getting a TCP error. Not sure if this is a problem with there sight, or with trying to get through the several firewalls at work.

Comment

I see what you mean! Try this link http://www.diff.ru:8000/ Scroll down to the file. It should work. If not, PM me & i'll see if I can send you my copy

Terry

Comment

Humhead - don't see anything for the 78 or the 79 GS1000E's. All I can see that is close is the 80. Is it the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by d.j.b
                Humhead - don't see anything for the 78 or the 79 GS1000E's. All I can see that is close is the 80. Is it the same thing?
                I have the manual for your bike in PDF. It's too big to email. Can I upload it somewhere for you? If not, email me your address and I'll press a CD and mail it to you.

Comment

Hoomgar - I just sent you an email with my address. let me know if you don't get it and I will try again.

Comment

The 1980 manual also covers 78 &79.

Terry

Comment

I tried to download the manual from the site, but it keeps saying that the compressing file is invalid/corrupt.

Comment

Working...
                      X