Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What forks are these?

Hello pool of wisdom...

I wanted to drain/clean/refill my forks today, but I couldn't quite follow the Clymer. In the maintenance section, it explains to pull back the handlebars and remove the fork tube caps.

Well, I removed the handlebars, but I only have rubber caps and nothing else to remove (see first pic). Are these forks stock GS750? I also noticed that the twin disc-brakes that I have a uncommon for the 1977 year.

Anyhow, though you could help shed some light on this.

Thanks and sorry about the big pics.

Those look like the forks on my '83 GS750ES, at least at the top. To remove the metal disk you have to push it down against the spring pressure and remove a thin metal circlip that is just below it now.

It took me a few trys to get the right combo of tools and hands but it isn't really very hard. If you have one that fit a two or three jaw gear puller would help. I think I ended up using a large phillips screwdriver centered in the "dimple", pushing down on that and using a tiny flat blade to work the circlip out of the groove.

/\/\ac

Comment

Not '83 or later, no anti-dive.

Comment

Those don't look like the forks on my '77 GS750. Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think the '77 was available with dual discs in front, but definitely not with dual *slotted* discs. The slotted discs weren't used 'til a couple years later.

Comment

Those are ED and EF rotors. They may have been used earlier but definitely on '83-'85 700/750 models. The fork is probably very early '80's.

Comment

Interesting...

Are all fork seals compatible on the GS's? I ordered seals for a "77" GS750 and I'm not sure they will fit anymore.

Looks like I've got a franken-GS... :P

Comment

Bump!

Does anyone know what fork seals I would need for the forks?

Also, if I were going to get progressive springs, would I have to get them for post-80's GS bikes?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fatpat
                Interesting...

Are all fork seals compatible on the GS's? I ordered seals for a "77" GS750 and I'm not sure they will fit anymore.

Looks like I've got a franken-GS... :P
                I don't know the answer, but if you've already ordered the seals you might as well give them a try. The easiest front end swaps are the ones where the fork diameters and lengths are the same, so there's a decent chance that you can use the same fork seals and springs as stock, but I can't tell you for sure.

Comment

Most fork seals are similar except for the dimensions.

You will see them listed with internal diameter (this is the diameter of the chrome fork tube), external diameter (this is the internal diamter of the inside of the fork legs where the seal sits, and lastly thickness of the seal.

What you probably ordered are seals like this http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1389 designed to fit 35mm fork tubes - you'll see they fit a fair number of other 750's - so when you pull the forks apart, it should be fairly easy to see if the size is correct or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X