No announcement yet.

1980 Suzuki GS850GT help Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to change over the carbs and give it a try. Going to buy a heater for garage or I'm done till spring. Winter got here early and I hate the cold, poor circulation. Willgive it a try, but it may be a while. Thanks,
    Bob.

Comment

Well I just sent out payment for a set of carbs I can leave on the old girl and then I can experiment around a little. I will let you know when I get them on and can try some of these suggestions.

Comment

OK guys, heres an update. I got a set of carbs installed. I bypassed the kill switch. I changed the igniter and heres what happened. It started right up and sounded like new, running on 4 cyls. After 45 seconds #2 and 3 cyls quit firing. It continued running on # 1 and 4 for about 10 seconds then the quit firing and the engine died. I started it back up again. It did the same, ran on all 4, then 2 and 3 stopped firing again, ran on 1 and 4 for another 10 seconds then they quit firing and it died again. It will do this as often as I am willing to try it. It does not require any down time between trying it again. Turn it off, back on, and it starts right back up again. I think it is possessed. It has a fully charged battery, petcock on prime makes no dif. Not running out of gas. CLEARLY stops firing as described. I will kiss whoever can solve this problem, Not really, but I'll sure be happy. Any and all ideas or suggestions are not only welcomed, but encouraged.

Comment

More info. I changed the cdi box from the running bike for this test. I have a tester which makes an audible beep when electricity is found, the more juice you have, the higher the pitch. When I tested it just now I had it touching a lead on the coil while engine was running and it made a high pitched detection all the way through the test, even after the engine died. Never varied a bit. Could it possibly be the new accell coils?. What else could I interchange, except stator. Does the stator sound bad. Stator papers test shows it good. Could It show up good and after a while go bad?

Comment

Hi arveejay,

Don't know if this applies here, but I had this problem half a year ago on my GS 1150 1984.

The bike started an ran fine for about 2 - 4 min, after that one cylinder after an other stopped fireing, and the bike run only run if I gave it more choke.

If I gave the bike a rest for a couple of minutes it run fine again for a couple of minutes. Suddenly the error disappeared, just to be back again after a week or so.

I tried a lot of things and in the end it was my new, Suzuki stock #"#?? expensive filler cap which didn't let any air in to the tank.

This resulted in that a vacuum was created in the tank and not enough fuel came to the engine.

The solution was to "bend" the gasket a little bit on the filler cap, after that it runs fine.

Comment

I may have got lucky. I changed both coils, I had only changed one in the past, it appears to be fine now. I am putting lights, fenders, and everything else and will take it for a ride. It seems fine for now, doesn't die.

Comment

Well I rode it 5 miles with no problems, too cold to go much farther. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Now if I can get a set of coils for the other bike I will have 2 running 1980 GS850GT's.

Comment

Give yourself a big kiss.

Comment

I've allready done that.

Comment

I didn't always understand this but I could not stop reading.

You guys are great!

I always learn alot from these posts.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X