Is it possible to lower a 79 GS1000E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to lower a 79 GS1000E?

This bike is about a 1/2" to tall for me and I would like to see if the suspension can be lowered a little before I look into getting a different seat.

Checkout what this guy did to his 81 GS1100.
    I'm sure you could find or make a set of those lowering brackets on the rear shocks. If you look, it just moves the shocks back on the swing arm, which lowers it a little.

Comment

might get with my father in law and see if he could fabricate something like that for me. He does a lot of fabrication/welding (he is a blacksmith).

Comment

Anybody else know of other options?

Comment

You can lower the preload setting and then readjust the dampening to it. That will bring it down a little. I would think that since your shorter maybe your lighter too so reducing the preload to maybe even the lowest setting may be OK and actually might help you. Next is the seat.

Comment

I do I go about adjusting the "preload setting"?

Yes, I am "a little guy" as my buddies like to say. 5'9" @ 155lbs.

I have already been scouring ebay for a seat that will get me lower, but I wont this to be the last resort. Smaller seat means less cushion! :x

Comment

Originally posted by d.j.b
              I do I go about adjusting the "preload setting"?

Yes, I am "a little guy" as my buddies like to say. 5'9" @ 155lbs.

I have already been scouring ebay for a seat that will get me lower, but I wont this to be the last resort. Smaller seat means less cushion! :x
              Yeah but your lighter so less cushion shouldn't be a problem. Look at your rear shocks. You will see where there are 5 preload settings near the bottom if your shocks are still the stock shocks. Set it on the lowest one. Then at the top of the shock under the little black rubber boot is the dampening control. You adjust that to change how fast the shock reacts. Play with it to find where it feels best to you.

You can then maybe get another 1/4 inch or more off the front by sliding the forks up a bit. Don't go crazy on that. You'll see clearly where to stop.

I think if you make these adjustments you should be OK. You don't have to be able to touch the ground flat footed on your bike. You only need to be able to touch the ground with both feet at the same time.

After this, the seat is next buddy.

Comment

I can touch the ground with the balls of both feet at the same time, but it feels as though I am on my tip toes. Not looking to go much lower, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at most. Just want to make it feel a little more comfortable when I am stopped. Still learning to keep my balance on the bike.

Well, being lighter might seem a good thing, but being small means that I have a bony arse. I need all the cushing I can get, and I don't want to get it with out the seat.

Comment

Here's a tip, I'm short too and my 1100L is too tall. I'm on the balls of my feet . I went to a shoe repair place and had them build-up the sole on my riding boots. Not a ton, but it did help. If you can't find a shoe repair place, call a medical equipment place (i.e. oxygen-wheelchairs etc.) and ask them where they refer to for a shoe build-up. Also, there is an added bonus of always wearing proper riding attire on your feet! Worked for me!-Pete

Comment

might just try that. the only time I seem to have a problem is when I am trying to back the bike up. I can't seem to get enough leverage to move it back. I have to get off the bike and push it. I figure that if a little more of my feet were on the ground then I could get more leverage to move the bike back. I have a very small drive way so I can't just turn it around. I have to due like a three point turn to get it facing back out the driveway. :roll:

Comment

I can touch the ground with the balls of both feet at the same time, but it feels as though I am on my tip toes. Not looking to go much lower, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at most. Just want to make it feel a little more comfortable when I am stopped. Still learning to keep my balance on the bike.

Well, being lighter might seem a good thing, but being small means that I have a bony arse. I need all the cushing I can get, and I don't want to get it with out the seat.
                      What I have suggested should get you there then. Maybe more.

Comment

thanks for the suggestions hoomgar. I will try that first thing saturday morning.

should the bike be on the center stand when doing this, or is the kick stand ok?

Comment

thanks for the suggestions hoomgar. I will try that first thing saturday morning.

should the bike be on the center stand when doing this, or is the kick stand ok?
                          I'd center it. Your going to be pushing on those shocks a bit to turn them. A pair of channel locks and a rag work well.

Comment

Hoomgar - thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how things turn out. [/b]

Comment

Lowering the bike

I've got the same issue to deal with. I see the settings on the rear shock, but what kind of tool does that require? It look like there are two cylidrical nobs sticking out for some kind of tool, but what kind I'm uncertain of.

That's question 1. Question 2 is, any tips on finding a smaller seat? Ebay you think? How might I search? Low-profile GS seat?

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread.

Boggy
                              1982 GS750 w/8k miles (just purchased for a cool 500 bucks and it runs like a dream).

Comment

Working...
                              X