Sticky Throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky Throttle?

I just fixed up a 1977 GS750. It runs pretty well, except that when I'm riding it and come to a stop light, the rpm's stay at about 3K. When I first start it, it will idle just fine at 1K. When I park it for the night, it will have itself revved to 3K when I hit the cutoff switch, but in the morning it will idle again at 1K. I lubed the throttle cable and made sure that the carb slides are clean when I rebuilt it and stuck it back together. Any suggestions as to the problem?

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you adjusted the throttle stop? Are you having to use choke at startup to get it to idle a 1k? Do you have a little slack in the cables? If that's all okay you may have an intake leak.

Comment

thanks for the idea

i did adjust the throttle stop. there is slack in the cables and the choke is off when it idles at 1K. is an intake leak the only other possibility? i did check for intake leaks, but not that thoroughly. i'll check again, thank you

Comment

Classic intake leak. Most likely the manifold o-rings, less common the manifolds themselves. Check manifolds for any cracking/hardness. Almost certainly the o-rings need replacing.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

My GS would rev up after it got hot because I had a sunken float. If youre floats are brass, old, or have been replaced recently, check your float level.

Comment

Originally posted by jhw84
            My GS would rev up after it got hot because I had a sunken float. If youre floats are brass, old, or have been replaced recently, check your float level.
            I don't see how a punctured float, resulting in too much fuel in the bowl, could cause a high idle as he describes.
            Not arguing, just my opinion.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Spray around the intakes with WD-40 and see if the idle changes.

Comment

Working...
              X