The chain goes round and round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The chain goes round and round

Hi, I am not a total idiot, (I mean I don't think, anyhow) but the front sprocket, which way does the nut turn to loosen? I really do not want to break something.....85 GS550L

It should go counterclockwise or leftie loosie! There also should be a pinch type washer behind it that you will need to flatten out in order to turn the nut. It is a soft type of washer that bends easily using a screwdriver or such. This nut shouldn't be overly tight. Thus the use of the pinch washer. The nut will need to be put back on the same way with the concave side toward the bike or clutch housing and flat side facing out . Don't forget to rebend the washer to hold the nut in place when reinstalling.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Kevin, I suspected it but it is tight as h*** I will give it another go round tomorrow......

Comment

Some guys have reported having to resort to an air tool to remove this nut. But, usually a jerk with a good long breaker bar will do it. Try PB B'laster or SeaFoam Deep Creep penetrating oil to help with the job.

Comment

Make sure not to remove the chain before you take this sprocket off. Put the bike in 1st gear, sit on it with your foot on the rear brake, and use a massive cheater bar on a 1/2" drive, 32mm socket. Push the bar forward while you are sitting on the bike.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I've always used an impact wrench to remove my front sprockets. You still need to leave the chain on and put the bike in first gear as Jethro said.

Comment

Working...
            X