Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REPLACE YOUR BATTERY (Old thread new topic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More likely

B, nabrams idea sounds more likely than mine since you are juping it off at the battery. If the relay was bad it probably wouldn't matter if you had a dozen batteries hooked up. Do you have a Clymer manual? If not I'd recommend it.

Comment

As a matter a fact I have a Haynes Manual. Well I didn't even think of doing this b/c I'm to busy chasing stators, r/r's, and bad batteries with all the posts I've been trying to keep up with.

This sounds like a good plan of attack for todays round. Thanks to everyone who has helped thus far, I think I'm up to a Case of beer on my tab :P

Comment

Well thanks to Giblet and Focus I tried to jump the Solenoid first to no avail so I've got it narrowed down to a starter issue.

My new question is the two Loong Screw bolts that hold the starter in place. I got the one off that's furthest away from the engine block but I'm at a loss how to get the one at the bottom and closet to the block. Any ideas?

I thought about removing the Carbs but the Cam chain Tensioner is in the way to. I kinda hoping I don't have to take all of that off just to get to the screw. Maybe a special tool?

Comment

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure you can't get the starter out with out removing the carbs. You should be able to leave the tensioner in. I know it seems like a lot of trouble but you're gonna be doing that many times in the next few months so you might as well get in practice. It actually gets easier as you learn the tricks to removing the carbs. Might as well remove the tank too. Less stuff to work around and the lighting is better. Just take your time & whatever you do DON'T threaten to "set it on fire" in a post. That really upsets people for some reason even if you don't really mean it.

Comment

DOH! #-o So it looks like I'm going to have to order some new intake boots then b/c I have a good feeling the current set aren't going to be reusable. Oh wait now I need a new set of O-Rings to and I may as well give the Carbs a good cleaning since that is bound to follow. All b/c of one bolt ](*,)

I think she is trying to tell me that she's not happy with me and wants some new parts. LOL I always find the ones that are high maintenance. Well the down side is I'm gonna be without a bike longer then I thought but the good news is I'm going to know the inns and outs of this bike when all is said and done. Here I was worried about changing the Fork oil b/c it seemed a little spongy after I first bought her, BAH!

Time to write a game plan down here so I don't get lost with the next few steps I'm gonna need to do. So here are my questions now:
            1. There a way to test the starter after I remove everything and inspect the starter for repairs
            2. Once I get the Starter fixed I'm not to worried about boot mounts but cleaning the carbs, Can someone define to me cleaning them? I inspected what I could on the air box side and everything looks clean, she idles alright she just dies when I give it gas. Thus I wouldn't think I need to tear them down to clean them.

Comment

Dude, I hate to break this news to you, but you've got seriously gummed up carbs. I had the same exact problem you describe when I got my GS450 that had been sitting. There were also many other "little" problems (not expensive, just really time consuming). I've written several posts about the whole "restore-a-bike-that's-been-sitting" routine. Do a search for posts by me. You will almost certainly have most of the same problems I had.

Comment

Well I agree it has to be done but to play devils advocate for a second before any of this started I rode the bike for three months with no issues? I'm leaving shortly to take apart the carbs and try getting the starter out to find out the exact problem with it.

Comment

Ok I got the starter out and one good piece of news is the boots for the carbs are very plyable and no cracks or hardening that I could tell, YEAH!

So if you look at these pictures the masses were correct this thing is gunked up. Smells like those electric track cars I had when I was a kid.

I measured the brushes and there around 6mm not to mention at the wire braids so I'll be ordering a new set but how do you clean this stuff out without ruining anything? I've read some posts on the brushes but I still don't know, how do you replace the two that are attached to the piece with the brush springs?

Comment

Well put a new Bracket with brushes in the starter this morning and put everything back together. Double checked all my connections.

NOW: Click click click, That's all I get from the Solinoid now I used to be able to jump it from the battery truck but now I got nothing! I can't think it's a ground wire b/c all my connections were cleaned and double checked before I put them back on the bike. I even tried to jump the positive terminal to the ground on the solinoid and same thing. I guess I'm gonna try a new Solinoid and hope that works or I just might start pulling hair. Off to Lowes for a tractor Solinoid!

Comment

Umm yeah DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY DIFFERENT WEIRED THINGS HAPPEN when you have a bad battery, JUST READ THIS THREAD!

Focus Frenzy was kind enough to come up to my house and let me know the battery needed to be replaced

THE ONE TEST I didn't do was turn the key on and check the Battery readings. I have to say two good things came out of it. 1. Focus Frenzy has made me a star with the center stand LOL and 2.I've learned allot about this bike which was one of the main reasons I bought it.

GS Bikes RULE!

OH YEAH AND GO HUSKERS! \/

Comment

Did I mention I charge a referal fee if Leon comes to your house ? I accept Paypal & most major major credit cards. He usually solves most of my problems once I finally pay attention :? .

Comment

KEEP THE NEW STATOR. you will eventually need it, believe us.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill54
                            KEEP THE NEW STATOR. you will eventually need it, believe us.
                            Yep.

Comment

I actually had canceled the order when I started looking at other things. $150 is kinda steep for me right now.

Steve you coming to ride on Sunday with us?

Comment

Originally posted by BriTXbike
                                I actually had canceled the order when I started looking at other things. $150 is kinda steep for me right now.

Steve you coming to ride on Sunday with us?
                                Just saw this and assuming you mean me (if not, ). Had to work today (time & 1/2). Sunday's usually not good for me (church, NASCAR, nap) but there are always exceptions. However, I need to be back here by 4:00 tomorrow & won't be able to get out before 1:00 so doesn't look like it will work this time. Catch me next time. I always enjoy meeting new GS guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X