Newbie here first bike!! Problems w my 1980 gs550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here first bike!! Problems w my 1980 gs550E

The bike has 72000 miles on it and runs well. Picked it up for $250. Ordered the Haynes manual for it but it has not arrived so I thought I would post some quick questions here.

I cleaned out the K&N filter and re oiled it. Took out the old spark plugs and they were fouled (covered in blackness and smelling of gas) put in new NGK plugs. Ran the bike for 5 miles and tool one out. The new plug shows a bit of fouling. What can cause the fouling? Running rich?

The other issue is that it idles fine, but when I pull up to a stop with the clutch in and drop it into 1st I have to keep reving it or it may die. Minor adjustment?

I know next to nothing about this bike and that will change when I get the book, but any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanx!

You may try twisting off one of the spark plug caps to expose the wire and see if any greenish oxidation has built up on the end of the wire. If so clip off a chunk to expose clean wire and twist the plug cap back on. If some is found inspect all four wires.

The oxidation may be causing a weak spark.

Make sure the wire still reaches the cylinder.

The clutch cable may need adjusting or replacement. Check the lever end and where it enters the engine. See if there's any room left to adjust in or out.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Make shure you did not get carried away oiling that air filter, to much will cause mixture problem's.
      And as Carter said you adjust the clutch cable from the motor end first, but make shure the adjuster at the handle bar lever is screwed all the way in first.
      You only use this for fine adjustment at the end.
      See how you go!

Comment

You should use no more than 1 ounce of motor oil for the filter. PLace the filter in a plastic bag and add the oil. Work it in until it is evenly distributed and then mop off excess with paper towels.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Problems with my gs550

Thanx guys. The filter is a K&N and I used their cleaning/reoil kit that comes with oil and detergent for the filter. I dont think I over oiled it, just enough to make sure the redness is evenly distributed.

I looked at one of the spark plug wires after taking out the rubber boot and did not see any oxidation, has a copper color to it and thats about it.

As far as the clutch cable I tried to trace it down but I think I need to remove the gas tank like I did for the spark plugs to properly trace the clutch cable. I will probably wait for the book, that should tell me alot about adjustment etc.

What about normal maintenance? Change the oil, clean the air filter, what else do I need to do on a regular basis to keep this cool bike running good??

Thanx!!

Comment

Oil the chain every 600 mi, and after a ride in the rain. Change the fork oil for a better ride. sync the carbs for better mileage and throttle response, and last but not least install a Honda voltage Regulator, there are few threads on this forum that show how to do it.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X