Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 gs1000g gs1000gt starter seems to stay engaged

my $200 gs1000G 1980
    the carbs need total rebuild but I cleaned them up as best I could and when I start she
    seems to not release the starter.

What I'm doing is hearing what sounds like starter disengaging after she runs for a few seconds and dies (carbs)

before i dig deeper, I seek wisdom from the GSA gods, greater and lesser may respond ;-0

-Bob

Just a thought. There are three hollow pins loaded with tiny springs in the starter clutch. One or all of the springs may be bent causing the clutch to stay locked up.

A rotor puller for $30 is on your list of must have tools. Even if the starter clutch isn't the issue, the puller is a nice thing to have in the garage.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

When the engine stops, it sometimes kicks backward a little, causing the starter clutch to engage, spinning the starter motor backwards briefly. This is quite normal. Is this what you're hearing?

Comment

It could be several things, starter button, starter soloniod, starter clutch??? Disconnect the heavy 12v cable that goes from the battery to the starter soloniod & tape it up . Then use a jumper cable to go from the battery +12v to the starter to start the bike If the starter still stays ingaged you need to check the starter clutch

Comment

When the engine stops, it sometimes kicks backward a little, causing the starter clutch to engage, spinning the starter motor backwards briefly. This is quite normal. Is this what you're hearing?
          Yep, this is it. I could not hear starter spinning while engine was running.

I'm not familiar with this type starter clutch, only the Bendix and whomever that three ball lawn mower starter clutch is named after. Spragg, IIRC?

Sounds lie this may be a Spragg clutch with rollers instead of balls. Will have to download copy of manual to home PeeCee for reference when not at my workshop.

Thanks again. You've pu my mind at ease.

I'm starting to imagine this bikes history,
          Sometime around 7500 miles it was dropped and one of the carbs was broken. Someone put a hacked up used carb on it and used visegrips on the broken start air diverter plunger for a while to get her started. The replacement carb had a buggered(way too big and wring threads) main jet and some PO or other didn't notice and totally buggered up the other three carbs.

She's had a few llicense tags with various owners over the years but the crap in the float bowls was worse than the Yama XS650 that I recently rsurrected and it hadn't run aince 1997. I seriously doubt she's been on the road since the late 80's, early 90's if that recently.

Thanks to forum member there is a new plunger and maybe some stock jets on their way here. Carb kits should be in by Thursday and if all goes well, we'll do a 10 minute(tires won't hold air for long) ride on Friday evening and then some new tires on Monday.

Darn KZ1000 parts are slow in coming and I need to pull the clutch to clean out actuator guide as PO ran without actuator for over a year. We'll see then if he chewed up the gears or not. Fortunately the 34+kmle Honda FT500 is as reliable as my dog is ready to eat.

Wish me luck.

-Bob

Comment

Working...
          X