Oil and filter discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil and filter discussion

Here is a great site I found through the FJR Forum website. It explains a lot about oil and oil filters:

Of particular interest is a chart of oil filters and a cross reference chart to alternative sources:

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Thanks Joe. I knew Rotella T was a good oil. I love it and am sticking with it.

If and when I get a new(er) bike I think I'll switch to the Rotella synthetic.

Good Read.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
      Thanks Joe. I knew Rotella T was a good oil. I love it and am sticking with it.

If and when I get a new(er) bike I think I'll switch to the Rotella synthetic.

Good Read.
      I'm going to try the Rotella T Synthetic in the FJR. I notice a big difference between dino and synthetic in the FJR. I'm going to try the Rotella dino in the GS next oil change. I don't notice much difference between oils on the GS.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I dunno. Oil now is MUCH better than it was when our bikes were produced. Good 'ol Castrol GTX is turbo approved, so it can't be THAT bad!
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Hmmmm :-) On my 1150, I have used Castrol GTX20w50 and Mobil 1 15w50. There is a huge difference. I have always used the GTX and its a great oil, but the 1150 prefers the Mobil 1. Shifts a lot slicker and runs about 10-15 degrees cooler with the Mobil.

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy

I'm going to try the Rotella T Synthetic in the FJR. I notice a big difference between dino and synthetic in the FJR. I'm going to try the Rotella dino in the GS next oil change. I don't notice much difference between oils on the GS.

Joe
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            Hmmmm :-) On my 1150, I have used Castrol GTX20w50 and Mobil 1 15w50. There is a huge difference. I have always used the GTX and its a great oil, but the 1150 prefers the Mobil 1. Shifts a lot slicker and runs about 10-15 degrees cooler with the Mobil.

Earl
            Hmmm.......synthetic oils must act differently in areas of stifling humidity!'

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

I think its the steady diet of Pina Colada stops that makes them more agreeable in Florida. Pinapple fields are few and far between in Chicago. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy

Hmmm.......synthetic oils must act differently in areas of stifling humidity!'

Joe
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
              X