Valve shim adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve shim adjustment

OK, here's a question for someone. How much effect does valve shim adjustment have on fuel mileage? I'm thinking my GK should be getting a solid 40 mpg on the highway. I don't know when it was done last but I've put just over 10K miles on it in the 2 1/2 years I've had it & haven't done it. It sat up for several years before I got it and now has just over 30K miles on the clock. Runs like a scalded cat and has no excessive valve noise. It consistently gets 34-37 mpg on my daily 90 mile round trip commute. I typically have the trunk removed but saddle bags, fairing etc are in place.

Valves that don't seal well for any reason will affect mileage quite a bit. You'd be loosing compression. The intake valves would suck in more fuel to do less work and the exhaust valves wouldn't keep all the gas in the combustion chamber. Power would be lower, but you'd compensate with more throttle, contributing to even worse mileage.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Jethro. Makes sense as even the smallest things seem to upset bikes in general. Well, guess the beast may be off to see the "old" Suzuki mechanic. He's an older guy (Viet Nam vet) who used to have the Suzuki dealership here. Knows these bikes inside & out. Really picky. He has a beautiful GS1100E he has completely redone. Hate to do it but we're in an apartment temporarily & I have no place sufficent to work on it much past plugs & oil. I really miss my garage .

Comment

I agree that you should have them checked but don't be surprised if they are all within spec. These valve trains are rock solid once they get broken in.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
        X