83 750 Katana heads on 82 1100 Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 750 Katana heads on 82 1100 Katana

Is it at all possible to swap heads on these motors. Problem I'm having is the 1100 motor has no compression on any cylinders, and no vacuum at the carbs. when I do get it started it runs fine, but cannot set idle speed, once the bike is warmed up, it starts with no problem, and has vacuum at carbs.
    could this possibly be that the valves are sticking open. I have 36 mikuni rs flatsides on motor. your help would be appreciated.

No compression at all? it would not be able to run.
    Is the throttle wide open when you do the test? Could your gauge be faulty?

Comment

I guess if you're running RS carbs you know enough to run valve clearances. Did you do a wet check to see if compression got better? If compression is that bad and blowing past your rings you should be able to hear it through the oil filler hole while cranking. I'd hate to think you had enough bad valves to where compression was that low on all cylinders.

Comment

kat 1100 no compression

I hooked up compressed air to the motor and when under air pressure I did not get any blowby, when manually turning the engine over I did get resistance and back pressure, I also used two different compression gauges , cause I didnt believe the first one lol, If I feed enough gas into the engine it will eventually start, I then have to turn up the idle to keep it going, once the engine is hot it starts fine, runs great, lots of snot, but when cold same old problem, ready to use motor as boat anchor :twisted:

Comment

Rather strange! Are your valve clearence's OK.
          No compression, wont idle but runs great!
          I have to say again a motor will not run without compression, could your valve timeing be out?

Comment

Did you just put the flatsides on? The idle cicuit could be out of whak.

Comment

1100 kat anchor motor

Yes I had a mechanic do the valve clearance, just to make sure I didnt f@#K
              it up, He' a pretty good mechanic doing this for like 30 years, He is just as puzzled. He believes the valve are stuck open and when I finally get it started the heat probably helps them work , but when engine cools, same old problem, The other thing of note is when its warm u cannot set the idle correctly, it just wont work, but I put the same carbs on my 1150 and vroom
              everything is perfect, go figure. thats why I believe I should pull the head off

Comment

It probably is time to pull the head. Could have burnt exhaust valves or seats.

Comment

BTW, TSCC heads are pretty much model specific because of the squish area in the combustion chambers. It's the very thing that made the TSCC heads so effecient.

Comment

The valves could be carboned up not allowing them to close BUT That would be apparent when adjusting the valves Recheck the compression hold the throtle wide open when checking the compression

Comment

Working...
                    X