Petcock and Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock and Horn

I've left my bike sitting for a week (it's been raining, and I have exposed fuses and whatnot), so I know I'm supposed to flick the petcock to prime for about a minute, before going back to On and starting the bike.

But my bike does not have a petcock handle (oh, the joys of a beater bike ) I suppose I can rig one up before buying one from the dealer, but first I've gotta get the bike running so I can get there.

Is there any way to tell, without taking the petcock apart, exactly where the thing is supposed to be. Otherwise I'll clamp off the top fuel lines, remove the petcock, and twist it around until it's showing open (hell, for all I know it could be halfway between positions right now).

Also.... I just bought a horn on ebay, so I've got to install the thing on my 1980 GS 750L. Where to put it seems fairly obvious (there being two holes on the front of the frame) but does the horn go down, left, or right-- and does it matter which lead I connect to the tabs?
    The horn should blast as long as the bike is on, correct? Because when I've got it hooked up it's just sitting there quiet (perhaps the horn fuse is blown...).

On mine the prime position if with the handle pointing towards the rear of the bike.
    On the horns it should not matter which side you plug it into. Currently only one of mine work and I swapped them around to see it was the wiring or the horn. The one working worked when only one was plugged in.
    Oh yeah, my horns stick straight out like ears, but I don't think it really matters as long as they don't block something or they're in a position where they may rub something.

Comment

Well I wouldn't install it with the horn opening pointing straight up.... if you leave the bike in the rain.... Shame on you!.... they'd collect water
      GY

Comment

Originally posted by Gerryy
        Well I wouldn't install it with the horn opening pointing straight up.... if you leave the bike in the rain.... Shame on you!.... they'd collect water
        GY
        Quite true and don't install them on the bottom of the seat pan facing up as that would severely restrict their performance.

Comment

It does not matter which order you connect the leads, as long as they are kept in pairs for each horn. The horn trumpet end should face down to avoid water collecting in it.

If you dislike the sound of the horn afterwards, check for a tiny bolt and lock nut.

You can adjust this to alter the sound and loudness.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X