Swingarm Bearings For 82 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm Bearings For 82 GS1100E

I was out riding on the weekend and ran into the dreaded "wobble and weave" syndrome that indicates my swingarm bearings are shot. First time it has given me notice, though. Not a big surprise, given the age and mileage on my bike, along with the general lack of major maintenance done by previous owners.

Anyway, I am wondering if anybody can give me the bearing dimensions, or numbers if they are standard bearings (which I doubt), to allow me to machine up some bushings to replace the needle bearings in there now. I prefer bushings to rolling element bearings for the swingarm, but I do not want to lose a week or two of riding time while I have some bushings made up to suit after I pull it apart. If I can pre-make the bushings, then spend an afternoon swapping them in that would be much better.

Thanks,
    Mark

It could be a tire alignment issue or worn tires or underinflation or shot rear shocks.

I had this problem awhile back and ordered the bearings, but was too lazy to put them in.

I have aftermarket shocks and good tires and try to be careful with chain alignment. I've heard people say those markings on the swingarm aren't accurate.

I've been trying a different measurement from the rear of the swingarm (assuming each end is equal length) to the bottom of the head of the adjucment screw. Measuring in mm it seems easier than lining up the notch with the line that might not be accurate.

No wobbles anymore. Rock solid through corners.

I have yet to try the string method around the front tire, don't trust my eyes.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

It could be a tire alignment issue or worn tires or underinflation or shot rear shocks.
      Well, alignment hasn't changed for the last few months, tires are Bridgestone BT-45's, new this spring. Wear might be an exacerbating factor, as the rear is showing just a bit of a flat spot after about 6000km. Tires are inflated at 36F/36R as they have been all summer. Shocks are Ikon's (new this spring). It doesn't do the weaving in slower corners, only on faster sweepers, which is also indicitive of the bearings. I appreciate the reply and your attempt to save me some cash, that is always a good thing...

This weekend was the first warning I got, and it was classic bearing wear motion, so I am pretty certain of the cause. I'm not too upset, the thing is 23 years old, after all. I just want to avoid a lot of down time while I get bushings made up, if possible.

Mark

Comment

Maybe its worth loosening and retorqueing the swingarm nut and bolt and check that the engine mounts are torqued to spec.

What about the rear wheel bearings? That could produce a wobble.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Maybe its worth loosening and retorqueing the swingarm nut and bolt and check that the engine mounts are torqued to spec.

What about the rear wheel bearings? That could produce a wobble.
          Both good points. I will have to check the swingarm bolt and give the rear wheel a push and pull to see. I haven't heard any noise from back there, but you never know...

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X