Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carburation problem ?

hi everybody,
    so i have a problem with my gs1000S (80)
    the engine runs but not very well...when i accelerate , its not going "smoothy",
    in very low rpm theres like some metal noise comin out of the engine ( like theres no oil for example)--> could this be a cylinder or 2 that are not working proprely and are moved by the ones workin ??

some more info : the spark plugs are all dry black, besides one which is brown... but there's a light on every one..
    and after a litle ride, the mufflers are not all hot the same way, one is obviousely colder than the other ones...
    need some opinions..need some help..
    thanks..
    and sorry for my english...

If you have spark in all the cylinders then theres only two things left, compression and fuel. I bought a bike once where the owner thought it had a melted cylinder, it had one cold pipe when running. Got it on the lift and all the cylinders had spark so I got the compression gage out. All cylinders had plenty of compression so I figured it had a stuck float or something in that cylinders carb. In removing the carbs the intake boot for that cylinder fell in two pieces, all it needed was an intake boot. Check your compression then your carbs.

Comment

Re: carburation problem ?

Originally posted by dorlans
      hi everybody,
      so i have a problem with my gs1000S (80)
      the engine runs but not very well...when i accelerate , its not going "smoothy",
      in very low rpm theres like some metal noise comin out of the engine ( like theres no oil for example)--> could this be a cylinder or 2 that are not working proprely and are moved by the ones workin ??

some more info : the spark plugs are all dry black, besides one which is brown... but there's a light on every one..
      and after a litle ride, the mufflers are not all hot the same way, one is obviousely colder than the other ones...
      need some opinions..need some help..
      thanks..
      and sorry for my english...
      Metallic sound is probably your clutch, if it is already a little loose a non or badly working cylinder will make it worse, it should stop when you pull in the clutch lever.

If you start the engine and let it run for a minute without choke on low revolutions are your pipes all hot?

If you take the bike for 10 min ride getting up to a good speed are they hot?

Check the sparkplug of the offending cylinder, is it wet or dry?
      I know you have checked but it must be done in these conditions for this test.

I think it's one of your carbs that is not working properly, don't you see fuel over flowing?

If it is either the two inner or outer cylinders it is probably a coil.

Comment

okidokie

i m gonna check all that today...
        specialy how look the sparkplugs with a hot engine..

for the noise , i realy doubt about the clutch..the sound seems coming realy from the heart of the engine, like something big is loose
        and, as i remember the lever wasn't helpin...i'll double check today..

im gonna try to exchange the inner coil with the outer to see if something happend (i have a doubt ) i can do that ,right ??

Comment

Originally posted by dorlans
          okidokie

i m gonna check all that today...
          specialy how look the sparkplugs with a hot engine..

for the noise , i realy doubt about the clutch..the sound seems coming realy from the heart of the engine, like something big is loose
          and, as i remember the lever wasn't helpin...i'll double check today..

im gonna try to exchange the inner coil with the outer to see if something happend (i have a doubt ) i can do that ,right ??
          Yes you change coils as long as you switch the wires too.

Get it running well on all four and then we'll see about the sound , usually it's either the clutch or camchain/camchain tensioner.

Comment

ok,
            waint for that damn rain to stop,
            and work on that
            (uuhh, no mini skirts around today...)

Comment

something new,
              when i unpluged the little tube from the petcock (the one for the vacuum)
              there was some gas inside..
              i don't think this is normal, is it ?

Comment

Your petcock diaphragm is ruptured, this is putting gasoline into your number 2 cylinder through the vacuum hose and maybe causing it to be so rich its not running. Get a new petcock (or a new petcock diaphragm if available) and a new set of plugs and see if you have a four cylinder again. Good chance the noise your hearing is the three running cylinders dragging the dead one along.

Comment

cool,
                  the cylinder n2 was the one colder than the other ones ..
                  what about a petcock without a vacum thing..is that possible ?
                  and were to get ( maybe used from another gs model -> what model?)
                  thanks

Comment

A petcock without a diaphragm would be fine if you can find one that fits, I'm afraid I cannot offer advice on what bike's petcock would work here. If you get a simple petcock you will of course have to remember to turn it on and off by hand, leaving it on by accident will fill you engine with gas, this is why the diaphragm system came along. The Pingle petcock is a option but it would probably cost as much as a stock one if a stock one is still available. I think I've seen replacement diaphragm's for sale from one of the aftermarket companies but I can't recall where I saw them.

Comment

i'll check on that...
                      a replacement diaphragm would be fine, im just afraid of shipping cost overseas..
                      thanks nick

Comment

Working...
                      X