clutch replacement 1983 GS 750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch replacement 1983 GS 750T

replaced steel plates and fiber plates and springs, reassembled. I do'nt have any clutch cable tension.I have adjusted both end of the cable and nothing I do seems to make a difference. Any suggestions.

Assuming your clutch itself is OK now I would suspect the clutch cable arm on the shaft that sticks out of your clutch cover. Remove the pinch bolt in the arm and remove the arm, now screw all the clutch cable adjusters in to give the cable as much length as possible. Rotate the clutch shaft clockwise until it stops, now reinstall the arm while pulling on the cable, the arm should make an angle less than 90 degrees with the cable itself if this is done right. Now adjust most of the play out of the cable with the lower adjuster on the engine case, leave some free play up at the lever. Adjust the lever to proper freeplay with the handlebar adjuster. When everything is right, the angle between the arm on the shaft and the cable itself will be less than 90 degrees when the lever is out and over 90 degrees when pulled in. I hope I remember this all correctly, it has been a while. If I haven't been clear please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by NICK!
      Assuming your clutch itself is OK now I would suspect the clutch cable arm on the shaft that sticks out of your clutch cover. Remove the pinch bolt in the arm and remove the arm, now screw all the clutch cable adjusters in to give the cable as much length as possible. Rotate the clutch shaft clockwise until it stops, now reinstall the arm while pulling on the cable, the arm should make an angle less than 90 degrees with the cable itself if this is done right. Now adjust most of the play out of the cable with the lower adjuster on the engine case, leave some free play up at the lever. Adjust the lever to proper freeplay with the handlebar adjuster. When everything is right, the angle between the arm on the shaft and the cable itself will be less than 90 degrees when the lever is out and over 90 degrees when pulled in. I hope I remember this all correctly, it has been a while. If I haven't been clear please let me know.
      Agree 100%!

Comment

Thanks Nick I tried that and that fixed the problem.
        Tracy

Comment

Working...
        X