topend rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

topend rebuild

Is $1000 to much for a top end rebuild on a 1980 GS1100E? This would include new pistons and timing chain. I think it's a little steep.

is this yourself doing this, or a shop?

Comment

For a shop that does quality work and does not keep your bike for 6 months, probably. It is a lot of work and takes many hours. It pays to know what your doing to build an engine correctly and if your having doubts about what it would take or lack all of the tools I would leave it to professionals.

Having built many engines myself I can tell you that mistakes are expensive and educating. Not every engine I built was done correctly, although the last few I ever did were.

If you end up with a slightly hot rodded GS out of the deal it may be worth it.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Re: topend rebuild

Originally posted by Evil Hobbit
        Is $1000 to much for a top end rebuild on a 1980 GS1100E? This would include new pistons and timing chain. I think it's a little steep.

Does this include valves and seats?
        If yes , it's very reasonable.

I dropped about $2500, new pistons,valves, 3 angle valve job, bored the
        cylinders....basically kept the crank rods and cams.
        Otherwise all internals were new.
        Labor was the killer.......

This was on the 10002V motor, not a 4V motor
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

It might be cheaper to get a head that is already done than to pour new valves and seats into the original head. You might be able to find a drop on head on the internet. That might save you some money on the labor end which can run 50-75 an hour easily.

Make sure that the 1000 dollar price is not a teaser rate that turns into 2200 because you need all kinds of work and parts.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

all very good advice. thanks

Comment

Working...
            X