X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 450 T SWINGARM BEARING / REPLACING FUEL PETCOCK

I AM NOT VERY HANDY BUT I HAVE SOCKET KIT..SCREW DRIVER PLIERS

QUESTION 1:

I SOMETIMES GET WOBBLE IN HWY ...PREVIOUS OWNER TOLD ME NEED SWING ARM {SOME OLD TIMER TOLD ME LEAVE IT ALONE } BEARING IS THIS A MAJOR PROJECT OR SHOULD I GO FOR IT.OR LEAVE IT ALONE

QUESTION 2:

MY PETCOCK CAN ONLY TURN WITH PLIERS {ALLWAYS KEEP A PAIR ON ME} I PURCHASED A NEW ONE . IS THIS A EASY JOB . I HAVE THE MANUEL BUT SCARED TO GO INTO SOME I CAN'T FINISH

Re: 1982 GS 450 T SWINGARM BEARING / REPLACING FUEL PETCO

Originally posted by xpresidentx
    I AM NOT VERY HANDY BUT I HAVE SOCKET KIT..SCREW DRIVER PLIERS

QUESTION 1:

I SOMETIMES GET WOBBLE IN HWY ...PREVIOUS OWNER TOLD ME NEED SWING ARM {SOME OLD TIMER TOLD ME LEAVE IT ALONE } BEARING IS THIS A MAJOR PROJECT OR SHOULD I GO FOR IT.OR LEAVE IT ALONE
    Mr. Pres. - Replacing the swing arm bearing can be a big job and it sounds you don't have enough tools. You would need a hammer and drift pin. You can check the swing arm for looseness. Put the bike on the center stand, have someone sit on the bike for extra weight and try to move the rear tire from side to side. Looking at the swing arm pivot should show any looseness as you move it, also you will feel it if it is loose. These GS450's only weigh 400lbs. or so. My bike has only 12k miles and new tires and fork springs. I still feel the bike moving around underneath me at 65mph. If there are rain grooves it moves more.

QUESTION 2:

MY PETCOCK CAN ONLY TURN WITH PLIERS {ALLWAYS KEEP A PAIR ON ME} I PURCHASED A NEW ONE . IS THIS A EASY JOB . I HAVE THE MANUEL BUT SCARED TO GO INTO SOME I CAN'T FINISH
    This is an easy job. Use penetrating oil to soak the fasteners before removal. Use a hand impact wrench on Phillips head screws to avoid damaging them. Drain the tank and let it air dry before beginning work and of course, No Smoking !! around an empty gas tank. Use new gaskets and after completion check very carefully for leaks before riding. Gasoline leaking on a hot motor is dangerous.

Comment

PETCOCK INSTALL COMPLETE

THANKS FOR GREAT ADVISE ON PETOCK INSTALL WAS EASIER THAN I THOUGHT.

REPLACED WITH A NEW PETCOCK AND WILL REBUILD OLD ONE. I NOTICED THE OLD PETCOCK HAD 2 RUBBER WASHER TO EACH BOLT BUT I DID NOT REPLACE THOSE 2 WASHER ON THE NEW ONE I JUST BOLTED THEM IN TIGHT AND RAN BIKE FOR 30 MINS ON A FULL TANK NO PROBLEMS.NO LEAKS.

ARE THESE 2 WASHER ABSOULTLY NEEDED?
      HATE TO DO IT OVER BUT IF NEED BE I GUESS I MUST PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS DELEMA..

SORRY FOR TYPO'S

MIKE

Comment

Re: PETCOCK INSTALL COMPLETE

THANKS FOR GREAT ADVISE ON PETOCK INSTALL WAS EASIER THAN I THOUGHT.

REPLACED WITH A NEW PETCOCK AND WILL REBUILD OLD ONE. I NOTICED THE OLD PETCOCK HAD 2 RUBBER WASHER TO EACH BOLT BUT I DID NOT REPLACE THOSE 2 WASHER ON THE NEW ONE I JUST BOLTED THEM IN TIGHT AND RAN BIKE FOR 30 MINS ON A FULL TANK NO PROBLEMS.NO LEAKS.

ARE THESE 2 WASHER ABSOULTLY NEEDED?
        HATE TO DO IT OVER BUT IF NEED BE I GUESS I MUST PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS DELEMA..

SORRY FOR TYPO'S

MIKE
        I would re-use the old ones but not leave them out completely. After a few miles vibration might loosen them and start a leak while riding. Not good! 8O

Comment

Highway wobbles are not good. I know of a couple of times they have caused accidents. They can come from the swing arm, either wheel, the steering stem or forks. You need to check all these items for play or binding. Unfortunately the play in the swing arm or steering stem can be slight enough that you can't detect it until the wheels and other parts or detached. Review the troubleshooting sections in your manuals and review the rebuild procedures. If you feel confident you can handle it then go for it. Peolple are here to help.

Comment

Working...
          X