starting motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting motor

im just having another problem with mi bike...
    now, when i try to start it, the starting motor works but doesn't activate the engine...see what i mean ?..
    does anibodi had this problem or know about it ?
    thankx for your precious help...

to clarify here, when you hit the Start button does the starter motor make the engine move or does it try to turn but doesn't?

How olds the battery and have you checked the charge on it? Try this step first>

The first thing you must have is a good, charged battery. A charging system cannot work if it has no place to put a charge. Remove the battery from the bike and put it on a charger (fill to the line for electrolyte level with water.........never add more acid) Charge at 2 amps until the voltage in the battery measures at least 13 volts. Sit the battery aside for 8 to 12 hours and recheck voltage. If voltage has dropped below 12.8, you need a new battery.

Comment

smart people wire their killswitches so it kills the starter as well as the ignition. it stops them from draining the battery and wondering why their bike won't start if the killswitch is on the off position.

Comment

Battery is allways the first thing you look at, one way of finding out is to hook up a car battery, do NOT have the car running.
        Starter relay is next, just lay a screwdriver over the terminals, if it starts you have a faulty relay.
        If I understand you correctly though, and the starter motor is turning but the motor is not, it would be the starter clutch.
        See how you go!

Comment

well my battery needs to be replaced for sure..
          but when my batery is realy low the starter motor tries to start the engine but is not strong enought...
          what is happening is that i ear the starter motor turning but it sounds like its not connected at all with the engine..
          i m gonna get a new batery anyway (tired to push the bike in from of my girlfriend)
          but i have a strong feeling that the problem is more like you said gspaul,
          but how can it be possible?
          i see how its made inside the starter clutch and can't figure out what could be the problem...and if i have to open the starter clutch carter, i'll have to wait for the week-end ...

Comment

Unless the charging rotor has broken loose and is spinning on the end of the crank the problem should be the starter clutch. You'll need a rotor puller to remove the charging rotor as the starter clutch is bolted to the back of it. See the picture below, you should replace the springs (6) the caps (7) the rollers (5) to give you the best chance of repairing the starter clutch. When you get it apart, check the surface of the big gear (where the rollers contact) for flat spots, if the flat spots are excessive you may need to go for (4) which is the whole starter clutch as the big gear apparently is not available seperately. If you don't mind going back in again if things don't work out just replace at least the springs and the caps as see if she works again.

Comment

i was afraid the problem is coming from there...
              and i hope to be able to get new springs here in france..
              :?

thanks, im gonna check that..

by the way , i have a good trick to make an extractor : i use the metal bar that holds the all back wheel stuff (sorry don't know the name in inglish)
              it fits in the in the rotor big screw :?

Comment

Any idea were i can order the srings and other stuff ?
                been lookin at cycle recycle but can't find anything..

any ideas?
                thanks
                O.

Comment

Since you have to mail order the parts I would recommend dissassembling the starter clutch and see whats up so you make sure you order everything you need.

The place where I "borrowed" the exploded drawing is

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Comment

thanks nick!

Comment

Problem fixed !!!!
                      cf post :

thank you everybody for your help..
                      love this website...
                      O.

Comment

Working...
                      X