Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cost of repairs

Hi,
    I've recently bought a 1980 GS1100L. It's in pretty good condition but does need a bit of work. I'm not confident enough to launch into these types of repairs right now, so I'm wondering if anybody can tell me the aproximate cost to have them done at a shop?

The head gasket needs to be replaced: there is a bit of seeping. Not a lot, but enough to color the area just bellow.
    There is a strong smell of gas when running, like the mixture is off. According to my manual, the mixture is set at the factory and when the mixture is not right, it means that the carburators need adjusting. So I guess I need some carburator work.

Do these assessments sound logical? Anybody want to take a stab at how much I'm going to be spending?

Outside of these problems, the bike is really fun to ride. It has been about 7 years since I last rode and I'm enjoying re-learning on it.

Regards,
    dancran

I'll take first stab of ball park would be $400 - $700 for those issues. Carbs need to be rebuilt if your not sure what the PO did b/c it sounds like it is running rich. If your talking about the Valve cover gasket on top the engine, that takes like 30 minutes to an hour to change out AND I'M NEW THIS kind of thing.

If you got the money go for it. Most of us around here like to do our own work so there is an abundance of knowledge if ya need it. Lord knows I do!

Comment

To be honest ,even if you can find a shop that will work on these bike's, the odd's of finding a mechanic that knows how to do a good job, well buy a lottery ticket.
      What you need doing can be done your self, buy the manual, have a good read then talk to use about what you do not understand.
      And save yourself a lot of money.
      You can do this!

Comment

It may be the valve cover, I'll have to check again. I have been thinking about doing that one myself. I have worked on lots of my cars over the years with varying degrees of success.

I guess it's the work on the carburators that I'm most nervous about. Though the reason I wanted to ask about cost is because I thought it might push me to decide to do at least some of the work myself once I learned the reality in $.
        I do have the Haynes manual, and I'm encouraged by your responses to my post. I'll start reading the carbs rebuild section tonight. Is there a better manual for this bike? Or is Haynes the one.

Thanks a lot for your reply and encouragement.
        dancran

Comment

Re: cost of repairs

Originally posted by dancran
          Hi,
          I've recently bought a 1980 GS1100L. It's in pretty good condition but does need a bit of work. I'm not confident enough to launch into these types of repairs right now, so I'm wondering if anybody can tell me the aproximate cost to have them done at a shop?

The head gasket needs to be replaced: there is a bit of seeping. Not a lot, but enough to color the area just bellow.
          There is a strong smell of gas when running, like the mixture is off. According to my manual, the mixture is set at the factory and when the mixture is not right, it means that the carburators need adjusting. So I guess I need some carburator work.

Do these assessments sound logical? Anybody want to take a stab at how much I'm going to be spending?

Outside of these problems, the bike is really fun to ride. It has been about 7 years since I last rode and I'm enjoying re-learning on it.

Regards,
          dancran
          Fuel smell could be coming from a faulty petcock, very common. To check, with engine not running, pull the vacuum line that is connected to the petcock and #2 carb on the intake side, if any presence of fuel then you have a leaking diaphram and the valve will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Carbs on old bikes almost always need cleaning and though a little time consuming not too difficult especially using the carb cleaning procedures posted on this site.

As others have stated finding someone to work on older bikes is a challenge. With the help of the experts found on this site one with any mechanically ability can keep these bikes running almost forever.

Comment

Boy does this post sound famililar! A little over a year ago, I bought a 1980 1100L. I have no mechanical knowledge but these fine folks on this awesome website can and will help you throught it as they have for me. When I had my gasket replaced and the carbs worked on this spring, it cost me a little over 400 dollars with a rear tire installed as well. Here in Northern Minnesota, shop rates vary from 57 to 90 dollars an hour. The parts are relatively inexpensive however the 1100L has its limitations on parts availability as compared to other models. If you have the space and tools available, I would consider doing it yourself. One good tip though, don't let Hoomgar anywhere near your carbs! Also, some of our most active (and our biggest characters) come from the Lone Star State and are quite pleasant to deal with. Welcome fellow 1100L er', glad to have you aboard! And welcome to the forum. -Pete

P.S.- GS Paul is also an excellent source for info!

Comment

Forgot to welcome you and to also invite you to ride with your fellow Texas GSers on our 7th Hill Country ride the weekend of Oct. 7-9. Details will be forthcoming. Check under the GS Meeting Place Forum for more info on the Ride.

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome and advice! It's much apreciated.
                If I have my carburators back together by October , and am feeling confident and comfortable with my progress in reawakening my riding skills, I'll be excited to participate!

Thanks again!
                Oh yeah, did any body have an opinion on the best manual for my bike?

dancran

Comment

Oh yeah, did any body have an opinion on the best manual for my bike?

dancran
                  My answer is both a Factory Service Manual and either a Clymer or Haynes. But for most general maintainence the Clymer or Haynes will work for your bike and should be readily available for around $20.

Comment

Congrats!

That 1100L you have in your garage is a BEAUTIFUL piece of machinery. I should know, I brought my dad's old 19801100L back to life this spring. It had carb issues as well, but fortunatly we know a mechanic that has been in buissness for over 30 years and specializes on these machines. I took to carb rack out myself, had him rebuild them and I then reinstalled them. That cuts the cost of a rebuild, so if you have the time you can just do that. I will warn you know however, pulling the rack requires patience and a fair bit of knuckle busting. Once you get it back up and running though, it's well worth it. Oh and one other thing....that 1100....be careful about finding the right place to "Turn up the Wick." 8O

Comment

Hmm All good food for thought.
                      I really like this bike. I mean it's running pretty well as it is, just a slight amount of oil leaking from that gasket, and I smell like gas when I get home. Other than that, it's been kept in really good shape. I think the gas smell is probably related to the fact that it is really easy to flood it when starting if I'm not carefull.
                      The guy I bought it from mentioned several times how opening it up would get your heart rate going.
                      I'm going to weigh all of the advice I've recieved and decide how I want to proceed. I apreciate all of the ideas that have been put out there.
                      Everybody's enthusiasm is making me glad that I decided to get this machine.

dancran

Comment

Their is an excellent carb rebuild series in the forums Garage section
                        if you want to consider doing the carbs yourself For repair parts check with http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/jetting/default.htm The generic repair kit can be suspect as to quality & proper size jets

Comment

Re: cost of repairs

Hi,

You may be spending a lot less than you think. The key is not to assume that you know what the problem is. I just purchased an 81 GS1100EX that I thought was a parts bikes and it is turning out to be a real solid bike. The compression was bad on two cylinders, it was cool on one side when running. It backfired and ran like crap. So far with 0.00 dollars spent on it the compression is back up to like new, the carbs are cleaned and the thing runs great. Ask for advice here and do the basics first. Compression check, valve adjustment and headbolt torque, clean the carbs and a few other low$ items before you start to spend the big $. These bikes are easy to work on. You just need tools, a Clymer manual and patience. Good Luck

Comment

Hi again,

hey moto_dan, about the petcock test you told me about. How much is considered the "presence" of fuel? I pulled the vacuum tube off, and there was just a very slight hint of wetness on the metal intake port and the end of the tube. I shook the tube and nothing came out. Is it supposed to be bone dry?

I haven't started the bike in well over a week, so I'll check again after I ride later today and see if there is a difference.

Do you think it's worth replacing the petcock regardless? I'd personally rather have a manual one. Is there a favorite brand y'all GSers like?

BriTXbike: It's definitely the cylinder head gasket. I'm thinking that my first strategy there should be to make sure the bolts holding that section on are properly torqued.

How difficult/expensive is it to replace a cylinder head gasket?

- dancran

Comment

I'm in San Antonio and would be willing to go through your carbs gratis. All it would cost is parts if any are needed. The head may just need to be retorqued to get rid of that problem. I am pretty good at fixing the petcocks as well. Most people get fed up and buy a Pingel. I've only had to make a minor adjustment a couple of times over the years to keep the petcock working properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X