Engine Reassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Reassembly

I am reassembling my 1980 gs550 engine on Thursday. I had to replace the gaskets on on my header and cam cover. I have never done it before. Any tips?

Travis

For the cam cover, notice that two screws are longer than the rest, on goes into the front left hole and the other into the right rear hole. The holes they go into have a deeper boss, don't put these into the other locations. There is a metal steel ring that gives you a clue that a longer bolt goes there.

I used a tacky glue on the cam cover side to hold the gasket adn NO glue on the engine side. makes it easy to remove it later and it does not tear. I replaced the breather gasket on the top of the cove while I was at it.

As to the headers, I got a tailpipe bandage from an auto parts store that serverd well to replace the pipe wrap suzuki used. 3 dollars was enough for two bikes and it even looked and felt the same. I wrapped twice around and shoved it in. Worked great.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Let me ask-- what kind of glue did you use on the cam cover? Do I need to apply anything to the gaskets before putting them on.. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that.

There was no pipe wrap on the exhaust pipes. Can you remember what brand you bought?

T.

Comment

Permatex makes the exhaust pipe wrap, i got it at autozone. Exact replacement for the cloth they used.

You an use the liquide to plug any rust holes right up. turns to rock in about 2 minutes.

Permatex makes this as well:

# 97 is a high tack sealant that holds quick and is VERY similar to what was on the cover when I took it off. Some suggest greasing the gasket on the engine side, use VERY little rease so it does not soften the gasket too much and cause a leak.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X