Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, now I feel really stupid.... Oil leak??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, now I feel really stupid.... Oil leak??

I have an oil leak on my 80 GS1100E that I cannot find......

It only seems to do it when I get on the highway or interstate. It completely covers the toe of my boot, and runs all the way down the side of my bike. It is on the LH side.

I already changed the stator cover gasket, and that was not it. I cannot figure out where it comes from!!! It does not seem to do it when I just putt around town........

Help!!!!! :?

Could be coming from the cylinder block area (head or base gasket)mine seeps oil from the head gasket but only a drop or two every hundred miles or so. Seems like it would be pretty easy to trace unless your bikes really covered in grime to begin with. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Comment

Ludicrous,
      I agree with Jeff somewhat! I had a leak for a year or so untill I did the total clean up thing! I got some Castrol Degreaser thingy and mixed with water and sprayed all over the engine and under side and scrubbed off all the grime. Then took a ride for 30 miles or so and then looked all over and found my leak!! Gasket and o-ring from where the tach cable mounted!

Best way to find it for sure!!

Michael
      8)

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward
        Ludicrous,
        I agree with Jeff somewhat! I had a leak for a year or so untill I did the total clean up thing! I got some Castrol Degreaser thingy and mixed with water and sprayed all over the engine and under side and scrubbed off all the grime. Then took a ride for 30 miles or so and then looked all over and found my leak!! Gasket and o-ring from where the tach cable mounted!

Best way to find it for sure!!

Michael
        8)
        That is also where my leak is!!!! I think that is pretty commonplace

Comment

The auto chain adjusters are often culprits too

Comment

Ludicrous...
            Read my recent post. I have exactly the same thing. The oil would drip onto the toe of my left boot and down the kickstand. I found it to be coming from this vent hole I talk about. It is still in the shop and I too think it's going to have to be riden for awhile for the oil to get into the spot that's leaking. I'll keep you posted.
            Eddie V

Comment

Has your bike ever been dropped on the left side? My bike was dropped by the former owner and the stator cover cracked. Only it was near impossible to see due to the nature of alum. It was almost like it was bleeding right through the cover.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I dropped the bike, but I replaced the stator cover. It was doing this a little bit before I dropped it in the driveway, though.

It seems to have gotten worse lately.

Eddie V: I will have to reread your post and check it out....

Comment

Hello, I had the same problem this spring. I had oil on my left foot after running on the highway. Retorqued my head and the problem went away. Had 10 to 15 lbs torque on the head bolts. Hope this helps you.

Comment

I think that you are right, that it is the base gasket....... I got it all cleaned up and after I warmed it up Ran it thru the gears pretty hard. Oil seemed to be coming from the left side of the base gasket.

I will have the mechanic re-torque them when he degrees the cams for me.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Comment

Dont forget to check the oil cooler line.

My oil cooler line was leaking and got oil on different things at different times. I wasn't sure if my oil pan was leaking or one of the engine gaskets. Once I found the pin hole in the line I was glad I didn't tear it down or pull off the exhoust.

Comment

Working...
                      X