It's a gas leak, ugh! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a gas leak, ugh! Help!

I have a 1980 GS 550L that I just finished putting new sprockets and chain on. As you probably know I have had the front sprocket cover loose. It has been in pieces for about 2-3 weeks. I put it all back together tonight and noticed that I have a serious gas leak coming from between the first and second carbs on the left side of the bike. Did I knock a hose loose with the clutch cable while moving it all around? If so I didn't see it? Or is something else wrong??? Please help!!!! Thanks in advance too!!!!

Not positive about your specific carbs, but the only part that would leak right there would be the fuel tube running between 1 and 2. If so, then I hope these tubes have o-rings. If not, then the rubber seal/coating has shrunk/hardened and you'll need to find one in better condition, or come up with a repair idea. Of course, if they still sell them for your model, you're good. But these are not made any more for many models. Some websites say they can make you one for a premium price.
    I don't know if these carbs have been sitting dry, but once in a while, if you're lucky, gas flowing through them again may help them re-seal. Give it a day or two. You might want to clean them off and spray some silicone spray or at least rubber protectant on them and let it sit overnight. It might help, nothing to lose.
    But don't ride the bike with a gas leak.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The only other thing it could be would be the vacuum hose leaking fuel because of a bad petcock diaphragm. The hose would have to be cracked open too. Possible both these things could happen, but not likely.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

My guess after looking at the book and at what I can see of that area it does appear to be the connecting fuel tube between 1 & 2. Is there supposed to be a hose running off of there or is it just connecting carbs 1 & 2? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by airportcop
          My guess after looking at the book and at what I can see of that area it does appear to be the connecting fuel tube between 1 & 2. Is there supposed to be a hose running off of there or is it just connecting carbs 1 & 2? Thanks for the help.
          I'm not sure about your carbs. Different types of connectors are used on different carbs. Your description sounds like the fuel tube connecting 1 and 2.
          OK, I just went to Bikebandit and looked at their 1980 GS550 LT diagram(close as I could come). It does show a "T" between 1 and 2, and also 2 and 3, and a fuel tube between 3 and 4. It says the "T" between 1 and 2 is still available (#79) but not the "T" between 2 and 3. But both "T's" look identical? So I don't know about availability. Ask them.

Comment

Working...
          X