Oil Temp '82 1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Temp '82 1100EZ

When I ride my '82 GS1100EZ for a half-hour or more on the highway, the oil temp guage goes up to just under 320F and stays there. If I ride only backroads it might stay around 250 maybe a little higher). So far, it hasn't exceeded 320 (except a couple of spikes when I fly down the Interstate). There is no "redline" on the oil temp guage. I bought it last year with only 9,000 miles on it, I now have 16,000. Is this ok?

I have an '82 1100EZ also that i bought new. My oil temp would sometimes shoot up but it seemed like it only did it in hot weather and on a long slow grade. I'd consider 320 degrees to be redline. Synthetic oils handle the heat better but that's still too high for me. I'm not really sure as to put too much stock in the temp gauge. I've never heard if they were that accurate or not. I put an oil cooler on and installed high ratio oil pump gears in mine and don't worry about it. Have you ruled out any thing mechanical as to why the high temps? What brand and wt of oil do usually use? Synthetic or dino?

Comment

in florida in the summer my bike barely goes over 220 deg F--i have an oil cooler and use synthetic oil-- just after i installed the 1166 10.25/1 kit i rode a couple of thousand miles in july--it never went over 230 or 40 and no oil cooler then--i did run mobile one on that trip--now the low temlerature is a bit of a problem and i must baffel the oil cooler-who knows what gives--keep talking ant the situation will be worked out

Comment

I also live in Florida an my oil temp gauge never goes over 230 deg F. even when racing the bike and with normal riding it stays around 210 deg F. with a 1198cc 13.5 to 1 pistons I do use D9EA plugs though that brought the temp. down 10 deg. sounds like you have a bad gauge after you get your bike hot stick a fryer thermometer in the oil filler cap to check your gauge

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer
          I also live in Florida an my oil temp gauge never goes over 230 deg F. even when racing the bike and with normal riding it stays around 210 deg F. with a 1198cc 13.5 to 1 pistons I do use D9EA plugs though that brought the temp. down 10 deg. sounds like you have a bad gauge after you get your bike hot stick a fryer thermometer in the oil filler cap to check your gauge
          Do you drive on the street with that compression or is it just for track?? i was talked down to 10.25/1 compression ratio and i originally wanted 12/1 for my street bike

Comment

I drive the bike on the street more than the track I do have to mix 110 cam2 with 93 oct it won't run on pump gas alone

Comment

compression

Scotty

I can't see that you could run compression higher than about 11:1 with gas available today (and that may be too high). It will be interesting to hear if Streetracer can do this with pump gas.

Patrick

Comment

I used 10.25 to 1 pistons a 10 thousants base gasket insted of the 20 and took a 100 thousants off the head but you have to sink the valves deeper in the head to keep them from hitting

Comment

Pat alot of the new sport bikes come stock with 11.5 to 1 comp and run on pump gas I'am not sure how there doing it but they do must be in the fuel injection or something

Comment

compression

Hi Stretracer

Thanks for the note and I agree with you. I was thinking of hot rodding car engines back when I drove Mustangs and, as you say, technology has (undoubtedly) overcome some of the obstacles we faced in the old days.

I don't think I would have believed we would see 170+ hp from a street bike engine (like the Hayabusa). Got to love progress like this!

Patrick

Comment

Thanks, for the input everyone. I have not ruled out mechanical issues yet. Also, I'm going to be putting in a jet kit and a new exhaust and plugs, the orginal exhaust is really beat. Maybe it'll be better when I'm done... I'll find out soon hopefully. Thanks, D.J.

Comment

[quote="slopoke"]now the low temlerature is a bit of a problem and i must baffel the oil cooler-who knows what gives

Baffel - cover part of the filter? I've had an ongoing problem with plug #1 eventually fouling if I spend two much time riding around town. Longer rides, it's sweet. I'm guessing that my plugs may all be blacker than they should be, in part, because I rarely seem to get to 200 degrees unless I'm on a long ride. Even on my ride out to NY and VT in August with steady 85mph, it never got above 230.

Anyway, will running too cool carbon up the plugs? I run 8s for plugs.
                        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Working...
                        X