Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to rebuild my carbs? Advice please!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to rebuild my carbs? Advice please!!!!

Hey guys,

Im new but have been riding my 1985 Suzuki GS 400 S for about 2 months now.....
    I think my carbs need to be cleaned/rebuilt!

When i start it up it cranks but i need to crack the throttle and choke before it actually will catch and fire up......if i dont get it on the first attempt i have to wait about 2 minutes and then it will go.

When it is idling i need to hold the throttle for about 5 minutes at around 3.5 to 4 rpm or it will die.

When it is finally warmed up after riding it idles at around 2.5 to 3 thousand rpm.

Oh the outside temperature is pretty warm....about 25 degrees celcius.

Im running on Sunocco 94 and before 91......so im sure its not the gas.

Any adive on what it could be before i tear my baby apart?

Thanks....i know this is long.

Andrew!

I don't know if you need to rebuild your carbs or not.

I would first suggest you do the test spraying wd-40 on your intake boots to see if it changes your performance.

Your intake 0-rings may be suspect.

If your performance changes you will need to replace the intake o-rings and while you have the carbs off replace carb o-rings and assess other needs.

Chances are you need to do all of the abopve but is hard to tell from here.

hang in there

Comment

thanks....any other advice?

Comment

thanks....any other advice?

Comment

install some new sparkplugs and see if it fixes it. (sounds like you're starting on one cylinder)

how long do you keep the choke on, you say it idles high, is this with the choke on or off?

your bike should start with the choke and idle high until you gradually ease of the chocke (no throttle should be needed). with the choke off, your bike should idle near 1000 rpm (i like to set my idle at 1200)

Comment

Working...
          X