gs450 no spark, no start Igniter??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 no spark, no start Igniter??????

My GS450 (81) broke down on the highway, the lightbulb blew at the same time. Now it will not spark. THe only time that the ignition fires is right when you turn the key off. That tells me that the coils are good but I am not sure how to test the pickup so I can diagnose the igniter as faulty. DOes anyone know how to diagnose an igniter? I dont have the money to be performing shotgun diagnostics. :P

there is a fuse located next to all the electrical stuff inside the left side plate/cover....my bike shut down on me even when the fuse looked fine....after moving the fuse a little bit it blew...i changed the fuse and it was up and running...

Comment

Same Ignition Problem with 1982 GS450T

I had same problem with my 1982 GS450TXZ and have not solved it yet. I'd appreciate knowing what your problem was and how you solved it.
      Thanks for any help. DickV

Comment

Do you have a Clymer Manual? It has all of the test procedures in it. If your headlight blew too, it sounds like your Reg/Rec may be bad. IF you are getting a spark on BOTH cylinders at all that says to me that the igniter should still be good. When an igniter goes you usually would get no spark on one or both cylinders.
        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Ignition problem

Thanks for the suggestions, Snark. I so have a Clymer manual and my first checks have not yielded any bad components. I suspect there is a problem with a wiring connection or ground so those will be my next checks. Dick V

Comment

Check the grounds coming off of your coils. The wiring on these bikes gets brittle over the years. One thing you might want to think about is replacing the whole wiring harness. One can usually be found on Ebay for about $10. One other thing that you could try is "hot wiring" the bike and bypassing the key switch. From what you are describing it could be a bad contact in the switch. What part of the country are you in? If you are close enough I may be able to help you in person.
            1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I'm in Strongsville, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. I will do some checking of the harness, hopefully in the near future, and then post my finding. I appreciate your advice and offer to help. I really enjoy my '82 GS450TXZ, it is in good condition except for the electrical problem, and I want to get it going again. I have been retired for 13 years and use the bike for shorter rides now.
              Congrats go to the Steelers, one of these years the Browns will go all the way.

Comment

I'm not that far away so with some palnning I may be able to come by and help. Keep me posted on your progress.
                1981 GS 450L

Comment

Snark, thanks again for the suggestions and offer to help. I will let you know what I find. I look forward to the approaching riding weather.

Comment

Working...
                  X