Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Cable keeps unscrewing...

Hi all,

My tachometer keeps unscrewing a bit from the housing on the cylinder head. would some locktite solve this???

Re: Tach Cable keeps unscrewing...

I wouldnt loctite it. I have broken more than one that was only stuck a little bit in trying to get it off. Better idea is probably to wrap the threads with some teflon tape and screw it in. The tape will help to cancel the vibration that is causing it to loosen. Alternatively, you can clean the threads with electrical contact cleaner and smear some silicone on the thread. That will stop it from vibrating loose also. If you have enough vibration that youre having trouble keeping a tach cable in it, you may want to check carb synch or valve adjustment and find out why it vibrates that much.

Earl

Originally posted by Poot
    Hi all,

My tachometer keeps unscrewing a bit from the housing on the cylinder head. would some locktite solve this???
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'll try some of that teflon tape. thanks.

Comment

I found a rubber o-ring from my assortment that fits nicely inside the fitting. When I screw in the tach cable, it gives the cable ferrule something to "squish" against and helps prevent it from unscrewing.

It's worked like a charm for me for quite a while!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just a little more elbow grease (tighter) worked for me. On both bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
            Just a little more elbow grease (tighter) worked for me. On both bikes.
            Me too. Use a pair of pliers, but don't go overboard or you'll crush the damn thing!
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

If it continues to come loose, then a bit more elbow grease may work, but if it is doing this repeatedly then I would think you had already tried that.

The tape does help, but the vibration is probably something to look at, and correcting it will give you a smoother-running engine, as well as a more comfortable ride.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X