mag wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mag wheel question

i have a 78 750e, what year did suzuki switch over to tubeless rims? would a 82 gk1100(19x2.15) front rim fit? the 78 750 is a (1.85x19).

Can't answer your question directly , but something to be aware of is that some of the early 'star' alloy wheels were meant to use a tube. Unless they have 'for tubeless tire use' (or similar wording) in raised lettering on them they are tube type.

Comment

My Kats an 82 and tubeless.

Comment

Mine are alloy but require tubes. Bummer.

Comment

well i have a chance to get that tubeless rim, i just hope it wont be to wide.

Comment

they required tubes in the early wheels due to porosity problems with the casting, not due to shape of the beads.

in the late 70's, early 80's the technology for casting wheels for bikes was not that good and they often would leak air out through the wheels.

some hold air fine (mine do) but others even from the same year leak.

this is why Honda came out with the stamped and riveted comstar wheels, they didn't trust the quality of casting at the time, and its air tightness.
            (read that in book I have on bikes)

you can use a good quality paint (polyurithane???) and paint the inside of the wheel and make them air tight. a thin coating of epoxy will also seal them up.

Comment

Working...
            X