Carb rebuild kits for BS series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild kits for BS series

Does anyone know if Suzuki put any other type of carburetor than the BS34 on the '78 GS400X? Motor and frame numbers put this bike in the correct year for what the title describes.
    My bike does not have the front disc brake. From what I can tell, this was the most basic model offered. I wondered if it may be an import?
    I'm trying to find a rebuild kit if possible. The o-rings for the idle adjust screws are shot and I think they are letting air through the threads. The bike idled fine before I cleaned the carbs so the rings must have had a set that I broke when I took them apart for cleaning.
    Any ideas? I got the o-ring kit from Mr. Barr but none of the rings are correct for this carburetor.

If it is a 78 is does not have the BS carbs but the VM series, BS is from 80 onwards.

Comment

Aren't the VM types constructed with the throttle cables directly attached to the slide in the carb?
      These carbs have the cables attached to a butterfly valve with a sliding cylinder actuated by vacuum in the carb. I understand these to be the constant velocity (CV) type.

Comment

Not true!!!! some of the pre 80 small twins had carbs simillar to BS type carbs check on bikebandit.com & look up some of the small Kawasiki bikes or contact
        www.sudco.com maybe they can help

Comment

If you'd like, I can mail you a pair of the O-rings that fit the VM style air screws. I still have your address. If these don't fit, I really don't know what to tell ya...

Comment

For robertbarr:
            Thanks for the offer. Contact me at my email address. Would you like me to return the original set for someone who really could use them?

For everyone else:
            I've looked over the parts diagrams for the carb at bikebandit and it looks very much like what I've got. Don't see any rebuild kits for it there. Just looked at sudco with same results.
            I'm beginning to suspect that I have a set of mystery carbs. I haven't seen any marks on them other that the "Mikuni Ltd." on top of the vacuum cover.
            I have seen kits for Mikunis put on Yamaha XS650 for the same year. But, the kits have what are called 7 and 8 hole gaskets for the choke body. These have a 6 hole gasket.
            I'll keep looking around. I'm used to this - I have a pair of air-cooled VWs and wrench on my brother's and mother's VWs. When original parts can't be found, replace with modern parts. I may get a set of modern carbs if it comes down to it.

Comment

Working...
            X