Are these "problems" normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these "problems" normal

I found some oddities with my bike, just wanted to check if they were normal

1 - When I leave the bike in 1st gear and stop the engine, it's much more difficult to push (with the clutch in, of course) than in neutral
    2- Hesitation: is it normal on the first few minutes riding (when engine is cold)
    3- I noticed that the bike has much more pick up on cold mornings vs hot afternoon, I know about air density stuff but is it normal to feel a really big difference
    4-The speedo seem to be jumpy between 0 and 25, is this something common?

1. Normal. But double check your adjustment to make sure your clutch isn't dragging a little.

2. Normal. That's just an air cooled engine before it gets to operating temp. Our's were jetted lean too, to get by the EPA. You may need to leave the enrichener (choke) on for a few minutes as you ride. Don't forget to turn it off.

3. Probably normal. My bike can feel sluggish when it's really hot in traffic. I wouldn't worry about it. If it gives you peace of mind you could try a synthetic oil. Just don't believe the 40 degrees in heat reduction some of these Royal Purple guys hype! :roll:

4. Could ya speak up a bit, sonny? Yep, the bikes aren't getting any younger and this just could be an age related issue. But do check your cable for broken strands and lubrication. The drive unit could possibly use a shot of grease too. I wouldn't replace it. Probably go 100 grand before it fails.

Comment

3. My bike is the same way. Pulls good and hard on my way to work. On the way home, after sitting in traffic and she's getting hot, I notice a decent loss of power. I actually posted this thread about a week ago. I also seem to use a bit more oil when it's hot.

All in All sounds like a good normal running GS as Jim stated.

8)

Comment

Yes with alot of heat you will notice a drop in power. That's why they added an oil cooler to their "sportier" 4-valve TSCC engines. They finally bit the bullet and went liquid cooling on their GSXR series and their more "sportier" rides. However air/oil cooled is still used on the bandit series today.

Comment

Working...
        X