Engine keeps running after turning off key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine keeps running after turning off key

I have a 1983 GS1100L. Everything seems normal with the exception of one minor problem. I can't shut down the engine when the key is turned off. The lights dim when I turn the key off. The kill switch works. It appears to be running on the generator. I know that most ignition systems have a diode in the charging circuit to prevent this problem, but I don't know where to look. Could it be a shorted diode in the R/R?

This bike is new to me and I love it! I'll get some pics on here later. I bought the old girl from an estate. I has 4300 miles on it and was garaged all her life. Did I get a deal at $740.00?

Sounds like a PO wired an accessory wrong and you have power looping back to the coils. But since you stole this motorcycle for a ridiculous price we are all angry at you and feel you deserve to troubleshoot for several weeks on your own.

Just kidding.

usually the main trouble with these bikes are they won't start, yours apparently is haunted by it's previous owner.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Your starter soleniod is possibly sticking. I had this same problem a couple of months ago. Just take off the side cover that alows access to the soleniod. ( I think it's on the right side) Gently tap the solenoid with a small hammer or even a big screwdriver, that might be enough to free up the contacts and allow the engine to quit when you shut off the key. Worked for me.
      Doze

Comment

I really don't see how the solenoid would cause this. If the solenoid was hanging up the starter would be engaging all the time. IF (and that is a big IF) the solenoid somehow allowed voltage to go BACK to the starter switch it wtill would not make it through the starter button unless he was holding it down all the time.

Besides, he stole his bike and deserves no pity from any of us :twisted:

Follow the wires to the coils and see if there are additonal wiring there . Look at the fusebox and see if something is wired in that allows power to bypass the ignition switch. This may run your battery down if that is the case.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
          Besides, he stole his bike and deserves no pity from any of us
          Sorry mixongw...can't/won't help you :-({|=

Nice score BTW.

Comment

Working...
          X