Hot start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot start problem

Well, I have just finished a rework of my charging system, new rr and some dirty connections. Works perfect, however, since I have the bike running again when it is hot it refuses to start. I have done no troubleshooting yet, thought I would ask the experts to avoid reinventing the wheel. 85 GS550L

By the way

It starts so fast when it is cooled off I barely get my thumb on the start button... :roll:

Comment

By refuse to start, do you mean it won't turn over ,or the starter motor won't turn?

Comment

Details

Starte turns the engine very well. But that is it. I will test for spark and whatnot tonight ...

Comment

i have that exact same problem with my 1980 750EX, it starts fast about half a revolution when cold, but when it gets very hot it will take 8-10 turns of the engine before it will start
          i think the fuel is boilling in the float bowls causing vapor lock, just a guess

Comment

Mine will not start at all, does not even want to try to fire, I hope my charging problem did not affect my ignitor... ..but hell that is why we love these gsers so much, always keeps us on our toes and occasionally on the flat of our feet when we have to walk beside them instead of riding them. Actually I hope when doing my work I have inadvertenly pinched a hose or something and causing vapor lock.

Comment

Maybe too rich? If it starts easily when cold then the mixture is nice and rich for cold starting but bad for hot. It's like turning on your choke when the bike is hot, it kills the engine. Is your choke cable kinked maybe? Make sure the choke is all the way in on the carbs as well, the cable may be broken.

Comment

This place is the best, So much help and information. I am confident I will get this problem fixed.

Comment

When the motor is hot and wont start, grab a spare spark plug, connect one of your lead's and earth the body of the plug against the motor, turn her over ,she should have a nice blue spark.
                  Useing a spare spark plug just saves burning your fingers.

Comment

Ok, I have established that I have a good spart, using an old plug good spark on it. Now here is the answer but I need to know how to do this right. If I take a plastic bag and closed off the air intake to the carbs, voila it starts...so how do I adjust the carbs to take care of this nuisance.

Thanks to all of you that have responded, home I can return the same to others in the future... =D>

Comment

OK, sound's like you may have a vacumn leak between the carbs & the head, spray water mist around the carb boot's and see if you can hear a misfire.
                      Other than that ,any mod's from standard that may effect mixture,exaust, air filter, etc?

Comment

come to think of it i just changed my sparkplugs they were sooty from running rich

Comment

You could try backing off your idle mixture a tad, provided your choke is not suck on or maladjusted. Another way is to open teh throttle when you start it hot, and see if it cranks right up, if so, the rich idle is flooding it when warm. this would also explain wwhy it cranks right up when it is cold.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and ideas. It turns out the hose that runs from the cylinder head cover to the carb box had split and came off. Did not notice it untill I was doing some cleaning on the bike. Cut off the bad section and reattached it to the cylinder head and yippee it starts like a new bike. I guess that old saying always applies, "It is always the last place you look" with my twist "because you stop looking when you find the problem"

Comment

Working...
                            X