77 750 CYLINDER REMOVAL DIFFICULTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 750 CYLINDER REMOVAL DIFFICULTY

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF REPLACING A PISTON AND THE CYLINDER LOWER END IS GOOD AND STUCK ON. NOW ON MY OLD HONDAS THERE IS A NICE NOTCH ON THE SIDE OF THE MOTOR UNDER THE CYLINDER BANK WHICH LETS YOU PRY THAT IT UP. NOW NOT WANTING TO CRAM A WEDGE OF SOME SORT UNDER THERE (SCREW DRIVER) AND DAMAGE THE SURFACES I AM AT A BIT OF A MENTAL LOSS. I'VE BEAT ON IT WITH MY OL RUBBER MALLET WITH OUTTOO MUCH SUCESS. ANY OTHER ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL.
    THANKS, JIM

WE ARE NOT DEAF, STOP YELLING!

Keep hitting it with a rubber or nylon hammer, especially around the studs, it WILL let loose, took a while on my 1150 engine too, whatever you do don't pry, even if you are desperate.

Comment

Oh, and if you DO happen to be a dolt and break a fin off, Crazy Glue works great to glue it back on. Don't ask me how I know......
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

pour some penatrant oil down the studs

Comment

stuck

I usally dont tell others about this in case they flob it, but if you look at the back of the cylinder you will see there is a vertical casting that reinforces the fins, if you take a paint stir stick and cut it in half put one piece on the case at the base of the cylinder and the other half against the cylinder right at the vertical brace, flat side against the fin casting, and slip a pry bar between the sticks and lift up easy like it should come off with no damage and no pounding on the part, but be sure that the prying force is right under that vertical brace casting between the fins this part is very important, and an easy up and down prying is much better than just prying up

Comment

Working...
          X