Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could an H3 headlight cause a charging problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could an H3 headlight cause a charging problem?

My '81 GS850g has a vetter fairing with an H3 headlight. Could this cause an extra drain on my bike? My charging system is working great until I plug in my headlight and I can't find a short anywhere. After several hours I got the crazy idea the previous owner may have put in the wrong kind of headlight. Thoughts....anyone?

The charging system on these older bikes is marginal at best - for the most part, they were not designed to run with the lights on permanently - so to place extra load on the charging system may be causing your problem. On some bikes, just an extra 10w in the headlight is enough to cause the problem.

You can steal a few watts back if you desparately want the better headlight. First, you can remove one of the bulbs in each of the gauges - this saves about 6w - then you can get an LED rear bulb - these will save you a watt or two as well

Comment

These bikes (GS) were designed to run WITH the headlight on. That DECREASES the wear on the charging system. Charging output varies directly with rpm. Load makes no difference to charging output. Excess charging current is the destructive agent. Running with the headlight off is a sure way to shorten the life of, and eventually fry, the R/R.

Consumption in excess of output certainly will result in a dead battery. However, too much surplus will result in a fried R/R, boiled battery and ultimately, a burned out stator. Its a case of too much is worse than not enough.

Earl

[quote="jeff.saunders"]The charging system on these older bikes is marginal at best - for the most part, they were not designed to run with the lights on permanently - so to place extra load on the charging system may be causing your problem. On some bikes, just an extra 10w in the headlight is enough to cause the problem.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: Could an H3 headlight cause a charging problem?

Its possible the previous owner installed a 120/100 w bulb or something on that order. I would go to Walmart and pick up a 60/55 w sylvania silverstar halogen. 60/55 is the same draw as the factory headlight.

Buy the silverstar. There is a HUGE difference in available light between it and other bulbs of the same wattage.

Earl

Originally posted by chester
        My '81 GS850g has a vetter fairing with an H3 headlight. Could this cause an extra drain on my bike? My charging system is working great until I plug in my headlight and I can't find a short anywhere. After several hours I got the crazy idea the previous owner may have put in the wrong kind of headlight. Thoughts....anyone?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

regulator is most likely your problem, check the stator output of all three legs, if one is dead it will charge with the light un plugged but draw the battery down with it connected.
          my former new electrex R&R did just what you are experiencing.
          I was out on a long ride when I discovered the battery was almost dead at a gas stop. we managed to find the local fire department in that town and the let me borrow their battery charger to charge up the battery.
          for the return blitz home I disabled the headlight to save power and discovered the battery was good and full when I got home.
          broke out the meter and fired up the bike and with headlight unplugged at idle I had 13.5 volts, plugged the headlight back in and the voltage started dropping at a pretty good rate.
          the regulator was not letting enough power through even though it passed the stator pages.
          a "experienced" R&R from a Canadian GS850 in the local motorcycle retirement home fixed it, and I will never buy from electrex/electrosport again!

Comment

I'm currently using Ricks electricals and so far, so good. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by focus frenzy
            a "experienced" R&R from a Canadian GS850 in the local motorcycle retirement home fixed it, and I will never buy from electrex/electrosport again!

Comment

CHeck and make sure they did not wire it to have the low & hi beam on at the same time IF you need a wiring diagram check on the Craig Vetter website -- take a look anyway their are lots of replacement parts available

Comment

Working...
              X