GS550e carb help/identification of parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550e carb help/identification of parts

I pulled them off. The throttle, choke, and fuel lines were not hooked up. I figured I'd pull them off, make sure they were decent before I hooked em back up. I'm going to pull the bowls and make sure its not all gummy tomorrow before I re-install them. They're going to get pod filters instead of that dumbass airbox. Slides were not stuck, and moved pretty easy, but I think ima pull em out and give a few squirts of carb cleaner just for good luck.

Picture One: No, those are air vents. Hoses connected to them and ran back to the holder on top of the airbox.

Picture Three: Labeled another vent tube. No, that is your main (and only) fuel line from the petcock.

Picture Four: No, vacuum line for petcock.

Picture Five: That is for your choke. (enrichener jet)

Picture Six: Yes, that is the throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
      Picture One: No, those are air vents. Hoses connected to them and ran back to the holder on top of the airbox.

Picture Three: Labeled another vent tube. No, that is your main (and only) fuel line from the petcock.

Picture Four: No, vacuum line for petcock.

Picture Five: That is for your choke. (enrichener jet)

Picture Six: Yes, that is the throttle.
      thanks man, thats exactly what I needed, I'll print this out. 8) If I put pod filters on the carbs, what do I do with the air vents? I don't wanna plug em up.

Comment

If you put pod's on ,just pull the vent hoses off and leave them open.

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
          If you put pod's on ,just pull the vent hoses off and leave them open.
          8) Will do. Hopefully I get some time this weekend to stick em back on and get it to fire up.

Comment

Please do not forget that you may have to rejet the carbs and alter the needle position,how much depend's on your exaust system.

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
              Please do not forget that you may have to rejet the carbs and alter the needle position,how much depend's on your exaust system.
              stock exhaust system. I'm going to run the stock airbox at first, as I just ordered the pod filters, and they probably won't be in till the end of next week.

Comment

While I was cleaning the slides and slide bores i noticed something: I can't find a spot to mount the throttle cable at Where do I screw/hold the adjuster down at?

Comment

Probably going to ba a fuzzy graphic. I'll use the bandit's site. The hold down is not numbered. It is connected to the top of carb #3. It looks like a 2 tined fork with the end of the tines pointed up. (to make it hard on you in getting the cable in there.) This is a poor graphic and it is originally produced by the mighty S.

Graphic turned out pretty well. Look at part 18, the screw, your hold down is that part floating in the air to the right of the screw that has no number or description. See the upturned tines on the 2 tined fork? (Use your imagination and say "yes".) That is where your throttle cable mounts.

Comment

Probably going to ba a fuzzy graphic. I'll use the bandit's site. The hold down is not numbered. It is connected to the top of carb #3. It looks like a 2 tined fork with the end of the tines pointed up. (to make it hard on you in getting the cable in there.) This is a poor graphic and it is originally produced by the mighty S.

Graphic turned out pretty well. Look at part 18, the screw, your hold down is that part floating in the air to the right of the screw that has no number or description. See the upturned tines on the 2 tined fork? (Use your imagination and say "yes".) That is where your throttle cable mounts.

yes I see it, that was perfect, now I gotta find someeone with a parts bike to get one. :twisted: I busted one of the intake boots trying to re-attach them also, so now I gotta find one of them Also, there is only 1 fuel line for the petcock, but the petcock has 2 hook-ups, what do I do to the other one? I figured it was a prime like my 450L but theres no line for it.

Comment

One fuel line, one smaller diameter vacuum line. Your petcock should only have a total of two connections.

Comment

One fuel line, one smaller diameter vacuum line. Your petcock should only have a total of two connections.

ok, I thought the vacuum line went somewhere into the motor. 8)

Comment

is there a secret way to get all 4 carbs pushed into the boots? I couldn't get them in last time I tried.

Comment

It's a ridiculously cramped installation. You can try softening the rubber pieces by heating them with a heat gun or hi-watt hair dryer.

Make sure your airbox is unbolted at the side and the two screws at the top, maneuver the darn thing as far back as possible.

Say a prayer, try not to lose it, they will go on. There is no secret, it is no fun. You are putting the carbs in from the bike's left side (stator side), correct?

Comment

It's a ridiculously cramped installation. You can try softening the rubber pieces by heating them with a heat gun or hi-watt hair dryer.

Make sure your airbox is unbolted at the side and the two screws at the top, maneuver the darn thing as far back as possible.

Say a prayer, try not to lose it, they will go on. There is no secret, it is no fun. You are putting the carbs in from the bike's left side (stator side), correct?
                              I have removed the airbox all together since the pod filters are on their way. I'll have to try the hairdryer thing. I was trying anythign I could, tried from both ways, starting on the left side and working right, visa-versa, trying to push them all in evenly, the old spit lube trick, couldn't get them in. I had decided that you were supposed to put the boots on the carbs and then attach them to the head when I ripped one of the boots trying to take them off. Looks like I'll be doing the heatgun and just lots of manipulation. thanks 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X