1981 450L
    2-1 Exhaust
    Emgo pods
    Cleaned and jetted carbs
    New clutch pressure plate springs
    Swapped clutch pushrod from the '80 into the '81
    Adjusted clutch cable as outlined in Clymers

The problem:
    When I try to start off the line the bike bogs down a lot, then it starts to go (about 2-5ft), then the back wheel locks up and the damn thing stalls. It is easier to start going down hill rather than up. In order to get it to go up hill at all I need to rev the hell out of it and if I'm lucky it will go.
    On the center stand with no wheel resistance it goes through all the gears just fine.

I THINK this is a clutch issue, not sure though. Could it be carb related? :?

Any direction or pointers are a greatly appreciated.

are you saying that the back wheel locks up and then that is what causes the engine to stall. did it work properly before you installed the clutch??? almost sounds like tranney stuff a bit. does the engine rev up and return to idle in a normal manner when in neutral???
    why change the clutch pushrod????? was it the exact same size???

I guess i am trying to establish when the problem started???

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
      are you saying that the back wheel locks up and then that is what causes the engine to stall. did it work properly before you installed the clutch??? almost sounds like tranney stuff a bit. does the engine rev up and return to idle in a normal manner when in neutral???
      why change the clutch pushrod????? was it the exact same size???

I guess i am trying to establish when the problem started???
      Ditto. Sounds strange. More details are needed.

I

Comment

stall

Sounds like you have some jetting issues and tune up procedure that need doing, or redoing, start by putting the stock airbox back on and. then run it and check the plug color, do the plugs look black now??? the pods while easy will always be a pain even if you get the jetting just right, cross wind rain there just not worth it, and if you do put the stock box back on it must be complete and no leaks as well with the manifolds, as far as the clutch goes it is either in or out , if its out and the bike stalls while under way then its the above mentioned stuff, it it is stalling when shifting and letting the clutch out then locking the wheel then you have a shift fork or drum problem, this is based on the info you have given witch is not much, but Iam betting on the carbs

Comment

I had a bad set of points that caused almost the same thing on my 750 - 2 plugs were not firing. Pull your plugs and take a look and see if one is wet (after running it for a little bit).

Comment

If I were gonna bet, Id say the rear tire is locking up from engine compression when the bike dies is all, if it really locked down itd stay that way. doubt its a clutch problem or trans problem at all.

sounds like a simple engine tune up issue as previously pointed out. do the plug read, and try to gather a bit more info. my money is on the jetting.

Comment

Sorry I have been out of touch for a while, moved back down to school over the weekend and classes started today....

Anyway about the bike. It took me a couple hours to sort this problem out. After more testing and replicating the problem I realized something. I could get the bike to start to role when I walked the bike forward, but when I was ready to take off and I sat down on the seat is when it would die. I finally realized to my surprise and embarassment I had adjusted the rear brake assembly and made it way to tight. When I sat on the bike and the springs compressed the rear brake was coming on and preventing me from going. After adjusting this it ran like a charm.

Here's a pic of the bike as it is now... Still have some work to do, mostly cosmetic. I have to get the small turn signals for the rear too.

Comment

Id have never guessed the rear brake was your problem, thats kinda funny (laughin with ya, not at ya )

bike looks nice, and Im glad it was a cheap/easy fix.

Comment

Working...
                X