Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

while i adjusting my valves i discoverd??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while i adjusting my valves i discoverd??

while i was adjusting my valves on my 86gs550es i had the key on bumping it over and left the key on for maybe 10 min at tops then for some reason my coil for cyl 1 and 2 was hot and the one for 3 and 4 wasnt at all and it hasn't been riding in 2 or 3 days so i know its not from that or any of the sort..i think i may have a bad coil and wanted to ask others what they thought or could it be something else..the problem with my bike is that when the motor reaches a certain temerature it runs really rough and backfires through the intake and everything and runs like a dog...so if anyone could leave some info i'd appreciate it..and if it is the coil does anyone have one they would sell

Once you have set your valves and find out if this helped or not, check the strength of the spark on all four cylinders. Are you remembering to turn off the choke once the engine is a tiny bit warm? Is your choke sticking on? Is the engine starving for gas? Is there a solid stream of gas from the fuel tap? If it is a vac tap, try the check on "prime".

Comment

Re: while i adjusting my valves i discoverd??

If you have your coils wired 1 and 2 for the left coil and 3 and 4 for the right coil, you have your coils/plug leads wired WRONG. The left coil plug wires are to be connected to the 1 and 4 cylinders. The right coil spark plug wires should be connected to the 2 and 3 cylinders.

Earl

Originally posted by 86gs550es...
      while i was adjusting my valves on my 86gs550es i had the key on bumping it over and left the key on for maybe 10 min at tops then for some reason my coil for cyl 1 and 2 was hot and the one for 3 and 4 wasnt at all and it hasn't been riding in 2 or 3 days so i know its not from that or any of the sort..i think i may have a bad coil and wanted to ask others what they thought or could it be something else..the problem with my bike is that when the motor reaches a certain temerature it runs really rough and backfires through the intake and everything and runs like a dog...so if anyone could leave some info i'd appreciate it..and if it is the coil does anyone have one they would sell
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

yea i know i messed up there the coil for 1 and 4 was hot and the 2 and 3 wasn't sorry bout that

Comment

If you have points type ignition, one of the points was probably open while the bike was sitting with the ignition hot. That would be why one of your coils didn't heat up. It is quite normal I think for a coil to heat up, especially with the engine not running and ignition on, as you would have constant current going through it.

Comment

Working...
          X