chain/sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain/sprockets

Am new to bike maintenance, although am very adept at repair (mostly 4 wheel animals). Have a '78 GS1000 that I really enjoy riding, but lately have been told that it needs a new chain and front/rear sprockets. Am really in the dark as to where to buy a chain and what to ask for. Can anyone help me understand the 'lingo' of bike chains, and what the specs are for a chain for my 1000?? Also, if anyone has any parts available I would be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks a lot: 8)
    Ken Fortner
    eaglemountain@comcast.net

Ken

According to the manual, you need a 96 link 630 O-Ring chain, a 15 tooth front sprocket, and a 42 tooth rear sprocket. Many people change to a 530 chain and sprocket because it's lighter. Saftey isn't compromised if you use a high quality chain. D.I.D lists a 530 chain that can handle modern bike power up to 1300cc. Don't be tempted by cheap chain. I was and now I regret it! If you don't have one already, get a manual. This site and e-bay are good sources. There are many on line retailers who carry this stuff, but I purchase my parts locally. Hope this helps!

Terry

Comment

Try Dennis Kirk. (www.denniskirk.com, I think). They may not be the cheapest, but they will most probably have what you need. The print version of their catalog is a good reference, even if you don't buy the parts from them.

Don't rule out the dealer. They will know exactly what your bike needs. Sometimes their prices are sky high, but sometimes, they are actually reasonable.

I second the notion that you should by a good quality o-ring chain. Cheap chain is false economy; just say no.

I also agree that you ought to pick up a shop manual. I have both Haynes and Clymer. Both are essentially the same, but have slightly different information. I personally perfer Clymer.

Comment

Ken,

Recently I had to perform the same maintenence. I ordered all the parts and all came in but the chain. For some reason, the shop I was going through had trouble getting the 630 x 96 chain :roll: . After about 2 weeks of waiting, I found a chain at another shop and bought it. Of course that same day my order came in at the other shop. So I am stuck with 2 chains. It is the size and model for your bike and is a top of the line EK o-ring chain. E-mail me at gctaylor@adelphia.net if you would like more info. The dealer wanted a 20% re-stocking fee for the chain and I was livid. I'm looking to get $100 for it (shipping included), $20 cheaper than Dennis Kirk.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

By the way, your e-mail is eaglemountain. Any referece to the Eagle Mountain House in Jackson, NH?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

whats the difference between an o-ring chain and a standard chain, and how do i know which one i have?

Comment

Originally posted by beattheirsystem
              whats the difference between an o-ring chain and a standard chain, and how do i know which one i have?
              O-ring chains have o-rings that keep the grease in the joints. They have to be lubed less often, last longer, and might be a little smoother. They are, however, almost twice as expensive as the cheap, regular chains. Stock chains were o-ring at least for my bike, but if you can't find some sort of part number, I'm not sure how you can tell.

Comment

Working...
              X